• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Should We Treat the Voices With Kindness and Respect When They Offer None?

GTP

GTP

First and foremost, I do not want this thread to influence any of the way you guys deal with your voices. We all have our techniques to combat them...

"May no man be your enemy." . This would be the mantra. However, we may be dealing with no man here. The point is, does washing your voice in "unconditional love" make it go away? Has anyone ever tried this ?

A general rule is that voices always lie meaning that they always try to deceive. I have a theory that if you get them to tell the truth about themselves they go away, although that's still untested.

What do you guys think ? Besides total indifference towards them should we try something else? Anyone have a story where they managed to turn the tables on their voice?

Z

Zoe1

there is a lot of research going into this area at the moment GTP
from what I've read its about engaging with the voice
maybe writing it down and considering
why do I have this voice and what is its message to me

what is the meaning and significance of these messages ?

and what would you like to say back to the voice.
Sometimes it involves thanking the voice for its contribution

I have paranoia rather than voices but I could do the same !

I've heard some people are achieving success using these methods

Finite

Finite

A general rule is that voices always lie meaning that they always try to deceive

This hasn't been my experience. If they always lied and always tried to deceive me, I wouldn't have any issues with just ignoring them. It's the fact that a significant portion of what they say is true, that causes me issues.

I wish I was able to share some specific examples, but this site is meant to be anonymous and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I treat my voice with complete indifference, I've ignored it for four and a half years and counting ever since I started taking medication.

I've offered it as much as I could possibly offer it bar coming off the medication that prevents it from seriously harming me but my voice doesn't want what I have to offer if it means it has to treat me with respect and stop talking even if that's just for a few hours a day.

If my voice won't work with me I won't engage with it, I've given it a few treats along the way to remind it what it's missing but I get nothing back from my little gestures, it just takes them for granted and considers my generosity to be a weakness on my part.

So no, my voice doesn't get any kindness or respect from me until it gives me that first.

Treat others as you would have others treat you, and I just get nothing but contempt from my voice.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

First and foremost, I do not want this thread to influence any of the way you guys deal with your voices. We all have our techniques to combat them...

"May no man be your enemy." . This would be the mantra. However, we may be dealing with no man here. The point is, does washing your voice in "unconditional love" make it go away? Has anyone ever tried this ?

A general rule is that voices always lie meaning that they always try to deceive. I have a theory that if you get them to tell the truth about themselves they go away, although that's still untested.

What do you guys think ? Besides total indifference towards them should we try something else? Anyone have a story where they managed to turn the tables on their voice?
No. We live on planet earth. You cannot be a peace loving hippie and hope to get far. You have to be tough and be ready to fight.

My view is to break my voices.

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

When I’m irritated my voices could just breathe and I’m annoyed. If I’m feeling better only then do my voices sort of go with the flow. I do fight them..but no way to win..fighting them off is like reasoning with the unreasonable. I’d rather be living in a happy mind With The Happy Life..sound unreal and out of reach now.

Z

Zoe1

Do they hear voices?

my grandfather used to say
that he has not laid an egg
but that he can tell a good one from a bad one

I've sometimes found people who are mentally well
help me more than my peers with mental illnesses

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

my grandfather used to say
that he has not laid an egg
but that he can tell a good one from a bad one

I've sometimes found people who are mentally well
help me more than my peers with mental illnesses
Sometimes it feels good to be bad. Bad not evil.

EdEd

EdEd

I have found that not letting my voices effect me emotionally has been highly effective.. I ignore them , and try not to let them effect my thought content or effect me emotionally.. this strategy is optimal for my voices and overall mental wellbeing. I barely hear voices at all nowadays since I've adopted this strategy.

GTP

GTP

This hasn't been my experience. If they always lied and always tried to deceive me, I wouldn't have any issues with just ignoring them. It's the fact that a significant portion of what they say is true, that causes me issues.

I wish I was able to share some specific examples, but this site is meant to be anonymous and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
So, some of the things they say are true.
I would not believe the voices if they would say that UFO's are in the sky because I , for one consider them not to be real / not real period. The problem is that voices try to get a reaction out of the individual. It depends on what they are saying, but I would affirm that they most certainly lie and have an agenda.

GTP

GTP

No. We live on planet earth. You cannot be a peace loving hippie and hope to get far. You have to be tough and be ready to fight.

My view is to break my voices.
How do you break something you can't see, smell ,touch etc. ? With an idea?

Finite

Finite

I would affirm that they most certainly lie and have an agenda.
Everybody lies and has an agenda, even if that's subconscious...So why would voices be any different? I know they lie, but I also know they speak the truth. Working out which is which, is where the issue is for me.