• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Should I visit a GP?

T

TranquilJoy

So from ages 13-15, I had severe anxiety, having several panic attacks a day (can't breathe, light-headed, nauseous...), paranoid, and isolating myself. I never seeked out help or got a diagnosis.

I was able to overcome much of the disorder and for 2 years I have been relatively fine and panic-attack free. 🙂

For the past month or so, however, I've felt my anxiety creeping back up on me and my stress levels go through the roof. When my lecturer would ask how we all were on a zoom call I would just burst into tears. I have been really struggling to concentrate and stay in the moment. My mind is constantly racing with thoughts and I can't slow down. I have been totally avoiding completing assignments because it is too much for me. Even worse, it seems to be getting worse as my chest is feeling tight again. 😬

I'm not sure if this is just because of the massive changes happening in my life right now with leaving school, starting University, losing a lot of my friends, having to find a job and move out, and COVID of course.

I don't know if I should just give myself time to adjust or seek out help.
I don't know if my anxiety years ago is even relevant to how I am feeling now.

Advice?!?! :confused:

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
That must be a struggle and you are going through a lot of changes in life. So the stress of everything can be putting a lot of pressure on you.

I think it would be good to reach out for help from a professional. So it don’t get worse. Do you know why you get servers anxiety and how did you cope with it before?

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Yes I would agree that seeking help may be helpful. I am also wondering if your university offers counselling

T

TranquilJoy

That must be a struggle and you are going through a lot of changes in life. So the stress of everything can be putting a lot of pressure on you.

I think it would be good to reach out for help from a professional. So it don’t get worse. Do you know why you get servers anxiety and how did you cope with it before?
Thank you, that's why I was thinking about getting prof help as I don't want it to get to the point it was at before.

I'm not quite sure why, I think it's to do with my past. Before I dedicated about a month to just changing all of my bad habits (completely cut out technology, forced myself to go out every day, daily exercise, good sleep schedule...)

Although I don't think it's to do with bad habits this time, so I'm not quite sure how to deal with it

T

TranquilJoy

Yes I would agree that seeking help may be helpful. I am also wondering if your university offers counselling

Yeah, I think they do... I did reach out to ask for support but I just got hit with "We have lots of help to offer but you need a diagnosis from a GP"

I'm not exactly sure what to do with that, to be honest 😅

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Yeah, I think they do... I did reach out to ask for support but I just got hit with "We have lots of help to offer but you need a diagnosis from a GP"

I'm not exactly sure what to do with that, to be honest 😅
Hmm that's not very helpful to you. I would see about getting a GP appt. xxx

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Thank you, that's why I was thinking about getting prof help as I don't want it to get to the point it was at before.

I'm not quite sure why, I think it's to do with my past. Before I dedicated about a month to just changing all of my bad habits (completely cut out technology, forced myself to go out every day, daily exercise, good sleep schedule...)

Although I don't think it's to do with bad habits this time, so I'm not quite sure how to deal with it
Aha, it will be a good idea to get help. So your life becomes easier to handle. Anxiety is not fun handling and getting help can give you an insight to why it’s happening and give tools on how to handle it. I hope everything goes well :grouphug:

P

Pollypop

Aha, it will be a good idea to get help. So your life becomes easier to handle. Anxiety is not fun handling and getting help can give you an insight to why it’s happening and give tools on how to handle it. I hope everything goes well :grouphug:
I absolutely agree.
I think seeing your gp is the first step.

From what you say, I don’t think you can fight this alone.
I hope things improve for you soon.
Take care