• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Should I try see a therapist ?

L

Lena_

Hello, I don’t know if I am actually in the right forum but I’d like to have your opinion.

So for the last two years I’ve be wondering every some time if I should go see a therapist or if what I am feeling is normal and I’m just overthinking it and overreacting. I feel like I just want it to be a real problem so it can be easily resolved and not it being myself inventing excuses for what I can’t do correctly. I’m scared that if I go see a therapist they will just tell me it’s normal and it will pass.

I am 21 years old and an engineering student. I first did two years in a really good university which was really hard and demanding and now I’m starting again in another university. In my first university, my grades weren’t really good and I ended up repeating but I actually liked it, I had a lot of friends and it’s not like I was really suffering. But even then, I would from time to time lock myself in my room and not leave my bed for a few days, not going to class or answering my friends texts because I didn’t have the energy to do so. It would get worst around exams period but I never really felt it impact that much my work.

Then, during the period preparing for my exams of summer 2020 I totally gave up, I had fallen behind in a lot of my classes with online class and I knew I would fail (which I probably would have not if I had seriously started to study at that moment) and just stopped studying. I was just so tired so I started to look for other options.

I then came to this other university. This year was supposed to be a new beginning. It’s easier so I should feel less stressed and feel better. But it’s actually way worst. These moments when I felt bad are way more often. When I am with my friends, I feel fine, but as soon as I am alone I just can’t function properly. I can’t study or even do things I enjoy doing. I do pretty much nothing. I eat really little for days or overeat until I feel like I am going to vomit (I never do). I also start feeling anxious for no reason.

I just feel so empty and I don’t what to do or who to talk to. I am not someone who talk easily about what I feel so it’s difficult. When I feel like crying I try to call some of my friends but I never manage to actually talk about it.

Before it was just me feeling bad but still managing, but it’s now affecting a lot my studies. My exams start in 2 days but I haven’t been able to do anything for the past four days. It’s currently 3 a.m.…

I am sorry, this was really long and thank you if you took the time to read it. I hoped I haven’t wasted too much of your time and that you could give me your opinion.

Thank you and good night!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
Hello, I don’t know if I am actually in the right forum but I’d like to have your opinion.

So for the last two years I’ve be wondering every some time if I should go see a therapist or if what I am feeling is normal and I’m just overthinking it and overreacting. I feel like I just want it to be a real problem so it can be easily resolved and not it being myself inventing excuses for what I can’t do correctly. I’m scared that if I go see a therapist they will just tell me it’s normal and it will pass.

I am 21 years old and an engineering student. I first did two years in a really good university which was really hard and demanding and now I’m starting again in another university. In my first university, my grades weren’t really good and I ended up repeating but I actually liked it, I had a lot of friends and it’s not like I was really suffering. But even then, I would from time to time lock myself in my room and not leave my bed for a few days, not going to class or answering my friends texts because I didn’t have the energy to do so. It would get worst around exams period but I never really felt it impact that much my work.

Then, during the period preparing for my exams of summer 2020 I totally gave up, I had fallen behind in a lot of my classes with online class and I knew I would fail (which I probably would have not if I had seriously started to study at that moment) and just stopped studying. I was just so tired so I started to look for other options.

I then came to this other university. This year was supposed to be a new beginning. It’s easier so I should feel less stressed and feel better. But it’s actually way worst. These moments when I felt bad are way more often. When I am with my friends, I feel fine, but as soon as I am alone I just can’t function properly. I can’t study or even do things I enjoy doing. I do pretty much nothing. I eat really little for days or overeat until I feel like I am going to vomit (I never do). I also start feeling anxious for no reason.

I just feel so empty and I don’t what to do or who to talk to. I am not someone who talk easily about what I feel so it’s difficult. When I feel like crying I try to call some of my friends but I never manage to actually talk about it.

Before it was just me feeling bad but still managing, but it’s now affecting a lot my studies. My exams start in 2 days but I haven’t been able to do anything for the past four days. It’s currently 3 a.m.…

I am sorry, this was really long and thank you if you took the time to read it. I hoped I haven’t wasted too much of your time and that you could give me your opinion.

Engineering is a tough field of study. I'm an electrical engineer with 45 years in industry, I'm getting ready to retire this summer.

If you think you might need to see a therapist, you probably should. You may have a chemical imbalance which is causing your lethargy and eating problems. He/She would probably have you get a full physical at a physician first, to see if you have any medical conditions. You can't do good work in an engineering curriculum if you're not feeling well, it's simply too demanding.

You may want to reduce your classes and extend your education, take 3 instead of 4/5 classes a semester for example. That way you learn the material better and you're not so stressed.

But, get in and see a therapist and get started. It sounds to me like you know you have an issue and you want to fix it. That's the first step in recovery. Good luck!

soul searching

soul searching

Hi Lena! I would say that you should definitely get professional help. It sounds like you have depression but it could be something else. It also seems to be getting worse.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Hi there and welcome to the Forum. I think in these sort of situations you need to go with your gut instinct. Invariably it points you towards progress, even if there are setbacks along the way. Hope this helps :)