• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Should I Throw Myself Into Getting Healthier?

D

Disenchanted

I'm slowly (very slowly :low: ) recovering from this bout of depression and am just not really into the things I enjoy when not depressed: playing guitar/piano, listening to music, reading, music, movies etc. I'm 35 now and even though it's not as prominent any more, have suffered with some pretty bad health anxiety over the last 2 years.

I still worry I'll drop dead from a heart attack or get cancer, especially as I'm not getting any younger and my lifestyle isn't particularly healthy. I look at my Dad, he's 65 and has had very little in the way of health problems since he was in his late 30's/early 40's (or ever, come to think of it). He cleaned his diet up drastically back then. I'm not sure I've ever seen him eat a pizza or a burger in my entire life.

I'm a little bit overweight (I'd say maybe 15lbs or so for my age and height) and get little to no exercise. My diet is mixed: I eat muesli for breakfast, drink lots of water but love fast food and pizzas/Indian food etc. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have never eaten a salad of any kind in my entire life :redface: I don't even have lettuce or tomatoes on a burger.

I'm not getting any enjoyment out of anything at the moment so I was considering going on a total health kick. I'm sitting inches away from an exercise bike we have, I could completely cut out alcohol (which would also help my anxiety), cut out all the fast food, start eating salads and just generally totally overhaul my diet. I've lost weight and got in better shape before, but usually with meal replacement shakes and such for quick results; I'd like to do it the correct way this time.

Part of this is also because I worry I'm not as attractive to my wife any more. She says I'm being ridiculous (and I probably am), but then again, she also finds guys on TV attractive who are ripped and don't have an ounce of fat on them :redface:

So yeah, I was thinking of just throwing myself into this. It's admittedly very much a distraction technique and something to build my ego/self-esteem, but I'm not sure I can see a downside of it. Should I give it a go? I also plan on doing other things to help with my depression - re-visiting my GP to talk meds and practicing all the cognitive/mindfulness techniques I've learned in the past.

katya

katya

I think this is always a good idea for anyone to do, as long as you do it in a way that isn't too extreme and doesn't make you too stressed out. Good luck with it. I'm sure you are attractive to your wife.

It'll make you feel so much more confident. :)

Try to love salad; I've lost about 5 stone in the past and I had a diet like yours, but I found it much more easy to lose weight when I could actually eat salads. If not, replace them with a warm vegetable medley. :)

SarahD

SarahD

:flower2:Hi Disenchanted

Glad to hear you are on the way to getting better from depression. I know it is a hard journey. Now is the time to start just a little bit to try doing things you used to enjoy, even for very short periods to start with.music can be very healing. When I am very low it can be too much, it is as if I am over sensitized. But a bit at a time, it can help.

Trying to get healthier can help even just because you are feeling you are working towards improving your life and health, so I think that is a good move.

At 35 you are still young, so don't panic!

A healthier diet is a good idea. You can still include a fast food treat occasionally. Salads are good - but they are much better than lettuce and tomato these days. You can make wonderful salads using all kinds of ingredients, they can make delicious and enjoyable meals. My family is Italian and we often made salads using cooked vegetables, using garlic or onion to add flavour, or something like beetroot to give it a bite. There are different beans and all kinds of grains and leaves these days too. A dressing (not too much oil) makes it magic. Worth researching.

Good luck. Hope things keep improving. Sarah. :flower2:

D

Disenchanted

Thank you both for the helpful and supportive replies :) If having this particular bout of depression brought me here (to this forum, and it did), then I'm grateful for it. It could also have been the catalyst for getting both my body and mind in better shape for the future. Long road ahead, but I'm ready to start walking it.

Wife is out in town today so I asked her if she'd get me a salad to try. She's got me a selection of different ones. Quite excited about it, and I never thought I'd be saying that about salads! :p

Thanks again :)

pepecat

pepecat

Salads aren't just green leaves! :D You can get some amazing salad recipes - google a few and see what you get. Put in 'interesting salad' or something like that and see what comes up.

I reckon with any health thing that we try, it has to be something that is sustainable and that you'll keep up long term, otherwise it's pointless if you lose weight or get healthy, and then three months later give it up because you can't do it all. It might be that rather than make a load of changes all at once, you do little changes and adapt them into your life, so they're more likely to become long term things.
Do you work at the moment? Could you walk to work? Or get off the bus/train a stop earlier and walk?
Or if you're not working at the moment, maybe get routine going where you ear breakfast and then go for a walk for 20 minutes (for example).

If you're thinking of doing exercise, try and find something you enjoy. I hate running, and though it's cheap and convenient - all you have to do is step out the door - I won't keep it up long term, because I don't like it, so I don't do it. I go swimming instead, which I enjoy much more, so I"m more likely to keep it going. Or I go for long walks, which is another thing I love doing. I think it has to be something you enjoy, rather than doing it 'because it's good for me' otherwise you won't keep it up.

D

Disenchanted

So I've been at this a week now, and the results have been very good :) I've lost 6+ pounds (don't know the exact number; I only got some really good digital scales on Saturday), my health anxiety is already dramatically reduced and my body image is getting better.

I'm very fortunate in that my wife has been able to take me under her wing nutrition and exercise-wise (she has had to overhaul her own lifestyle in the last 6 months due to having gallstones). Each day has been structured in terms of meals and I'm eating all the right things and cutting out all the 'wrong' ones. I did slip last Thursday and ate a large pizza :redface: but thankfully it didn't affect anything.

I'm doing this sensibly (again, thanks to my wife) and am going to be super-disciplined until I reach my target weight (already almost halfway there) then I can ease off a little bit (will still eat sensibly and exercise regularly) and just maintain.

As for my mental state, as I said earlier, it's had a positive effect on my health anxiety. Otherwise, I'm still working my way back up from the despair I felt 10 days or so ago. There's much less negativity in my mind, but finding day-to-day happiness, contentment and fulfilment is still proving difficult. Determined to stick at it, though.

I hope this helps anyone who's also thinking of adopting a healthier lifestyle. I've found it's something to focus on and put my energy into, and so far the results have been extremely encouraging :)

G

Gredge23

Hi disenchanted sorry ur feeling this way!

But DEFINITELY give it a go , I love stories like this where people are fed up and have a firecracker under ther ass and get moving on improving themselves and ther lives!!

I wish you the best of luck eating healthy and exercising will improve a lot in your life I'm a firm believer in that.
:)

G

Gredge23

Only just seen your most recent post well done 6+ lbs in a week........well done sir :)

Keep going and you'll put those "hot" guys on the tv to shame.