• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Should I tell them I have mental illness/depression or schizophrenia?

S

Stormycat

I need to drop 2 courses because I cannot focus nor having motivation, and feel sleepy and lethargic all the time. But school only allows me to drop one and I need to maintain 12 credits even though I told them my depression and anxiety are the detrimental factors. Could anybody share with me your experience on how to deal with school? Should I have to tell them I have schizophrenia? Any advice is highly appreciated!

B14KWTFGO_x

B14KWTFGO_x

I would say tell them about your mental health issues, including your schizophrenia because I went to university, the same thing happened to me, but I tried to get support and didn’t and therefore had to drop out. They should offer you support to help you through your studies and maintain everything you need to get the grade you deserve. You don’t have to drop out and fail because of your illness. There is support! I wish I had the courage to fight for it when I had the chance. You’ve got this, you can do it :) xx

S

Stormycat

I would say tell them about your mental health issues, including your schizophrenia because I went to university, the same thing happened to me, but I tried to get support and didn’t and therefore had to drop out. They should offer you support to help you through your studies and maintain everything you need to get the grade you deserve. You don’t have to drop out and fail because of your illness. There is support! I wish I had the courage to fight for it when I had the chance. You’ve got this, you can do it :) xx
Thank you for your sharing! I very appreciate it! The thing that bothers me is: would that make people not want to share dorm with me? I’m so afraid that people will judge me and stay away from me if they heard that :-(

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Gonna be real and honest with you. I once did a child care course with a work placement. Everything was going well till my teachers and nursery staff knew I had schizophrenia. From there, they did their best to try to get rid of me.
In their eyes, I was deemed unfit to work in a nursery.

D

danmarkok89

Gonna be real and honest with you. I once did a child care course with a work placement. Everything was going well till my teachers and nursery staff knew I had schizophrenia. From there, they did their best to try to get rid of me.

that's so sad! life's just not fair sometimes.

Stormycat, is there a way you can tell the officials / admin people but not your roommates? your roommates don't have to know really, I can't see what it has to do with themunless you want them to know, just be aware that stigma is a real thing and young people can be very cruel at times so there is an element of risk with telling people

S

Stormycat

Thanks for sharing! I’m so sorry to hear that. it’s so unfair. We’re under medication and then medication made me gain about 40 pounds. We need to band together to fight. There’re so many YouTube videos that people suffering from schizophrenia are so brave to share their knowledge and experience!

S

Stormycat

that's so sad! life's just not fair sometimes.

Stormycat, is there a way you can tell the officials / admin people but not your roommates? your roommates don't have to know really, I can't see what it has to do with themunless you want them to know, just be aware that stigma is a real thing and young people can be very cruel at times so there is an element of risk with telling people
Thanks for your valuable advice! I don’t tell anybody whom I don’t trust. I’m just concerned about whether school would put me in a different or ‘safe’ dorm(like school might try to protect others). If that happens my illness would be easily known... you see what I mean. I really appreciate your time responding, thanks again!

D

danmarkok89

Thanks for your valuable advice! I don’t tell anybody whom I don’t trust. I’m just concerned about whether school would put me in a different or ‘safe’ dorm(like school might try to protect others). If that happens my illness would be easily known... you see what I mean. I really appreciate your time responding, thanks again!

No worries, hopefully it goes well for you! Let us know how you get on ...

JessisMe

JessisMe

I ended up taking a medical leave for a semester at college due to mental health issues and many people do this when they need to take a break and deal with health matters instead of dropping out. Is it possible that you could go down to part time student status or start to study some from home? They might not be the best options but sometimes it’s good to know what your options are, you know? I actually might recommend telling your school administrators that you have a mental illness that you have been struggling with quite a lot lately and need to adjust your courseload to be able to be successful in your courses. I would ask them what they would recommend or what your options are. If it were me I would leave schizophrenia out. If you are not happy with the options that they give you ask if there are other options that are possible. I hope you are able to work things out so that you can be successful with your studies. xo, j

S

Stormycat

I ended up taking a medical leave for a semester at college due to mental health issues and many people do this when they need to take a break and deal with health matters instead of dropping out. Is it possible that you could go down to part time student status or start to study some from home? They might not be the best options but sometimes it’s good to know what your options are, you know? I actually might recommend telling your school administrators that you have a mental illness that you have been struggling with quite a lot lately and need to adjust your courseload to be able to be successful in your courses. I would ask them what they would recommend or what your options are. If it were me I would leave schizophrenia out. If you are not happy with the options that they give you ask if there are other options that are possible. I hope you are able to work things out so that you can be successful with your studies. xo, j
Thanks for responding! They permitted me to drop one course based on my family doctor’s note (depression and anxiety). But I simply can’t handle another course that requires lots of reading and writing. I asked for dropping it, then they wanted me to provide more information. My therapist thinks that I should let them know the schizophrenia so that school may consider. Therapist strongly believes that school won’t ostracize but will be more accommodating... is he too naive?
my concern is: they still don’t allow me to drop 2 course even if I share with them.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Thanks for responding! They permitted me to drop one course based on my family doctor’s note (depression and anxiety). But I simply can’t handle another course that requires lots of reading and writing. I asked for dropping it, then they wanted me to provide more information. My therapist thinks that I should let them know the schizophrenia so that school may consider. Therapist strongly believes that school won’t ostracize but will be more accommodating... is he too naive?
my concern is: they still don’t allow me to drop 2 course even if I share with them.

Have you had a medical doctor write a note to them recommending that they allow you to drop two courses on medical grounds?

D

danmarkok89

In an ideal world, you could tell an admin type or a nurse at the uni that you have schizophrenia without problems and they'd say "me too"

S

Stormycat

Just to let you know that I got 2 courses dropped after I’ve told them I have schizophrenia... a little sad😞 but I don’t have to withdraw or drop out from school.

K

karl7

I need to drop 2 courses because I cannot focus nor having motivation, and feel sleepy and lethargic all the time. But school only allows me to drop one and I need to maintain 12 credits even though I told them my depression and anxiety are the detrimental factors. Could anybody share with me your experience on how to deal with school? Should I have to tell them I have schizophrenia? Any advice is highly appreciated!
Id twll them i have sz, i find colleges and universitys do and will accomodate you