should I stop covering my self harm scars?

K

kiki101

hi hope everyone is doing well today! I've got something I would like your input on:

I feel like I'm at a place were I can finally stop self harming, I haven't done it for over 2 months! I don't know whether I should stop covering them or keep hiding them. I'm leaning towards not covering them as I want to raise awareness and help stop the stigma associated with mental health and self harm

any ideas on this would be very helpful, thank you :)

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I'm happy you stopped self harming! Good for you! :clap: You don't need to cover them up if you don't want to.

K

kiki101

I'm happy you stopped self harming! Good for you! :clap: You don't need to cover them up if you don't want to.
Thank you I’m going to do a test day where I don’t coven them up tomorrow then see how I feel 😊

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Well done in stopping self-harming you have done really well.
Thank you for wanting to raise awareness of mental health.
Take care

Mayfair

Mayfair

hi hope everyone is doing well today! I've got something I would like your input on:

I feel like I'm at a place were I can finally stop self harming, I haven't done it for over 2 months! I don't know whether I should stop covering them or keep hiding them. I'm leaning towards not covering them as I want to raise awareness and help stop the stigma associated with mental health and self harm

any ideas on this would be very helpful, thank you :)
A couple of things kiki,

1. Well done, for not self-harming :)

2. the bold: I'm not so sure about this - but only the reason aspect, so I would think about this.
The reason I say this, is you say raising awareness, so do you mean you are comfortable for people to ask you about it?

3. That's my input, but my advice would be do what you feel comfortable with :)

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
It is admirable to want to reduce the stigma around self harm and mental illness.

I think you need to be prepared for bad reactions from people as well and make sure you are strong enough to cope with it if that does occur and it wont make you relapse or feel too bad.

write

write

I think it depends on the severity of the scars - I couldn't ever show my scars as they are severe and I wouldn't be able to explain them comfortably to anyone even though some are years old. (I'm also very self conscious and wouldn't naturally reveal my body readily anyway). Also I would never want a child to see what I've done to myself, would be unfair in my opinion.
It is up to you, these just my thoughts and what I do (don't do).x

C

Candy19

Well done for being clean from self harm, you should be proud of yourself!

I guess it depends if you think you can handle any negative comments and how bad they are. I still have a few scars myself, but they are very faint and most people don't notice, I've never had people really point out or mention them.

Also, if they are bad, I think you need to be aware that others struggling with self harm can be triggered by seeing someone else's. I remember when I was going through a rough patch and I hadn't self harmed for almost a year, but then I noticed really bad scars on my best friend and I got back into that dreaded pattern myself. But I totally get where you're coming from and wanting to bring awareness, but it's the way you go about it you should be weary of.

B

Barcud_Coch

Well done for stopping! That's an amazing feeling!
Best thing I ever did, get tattoos! My S/H scars cover my arms, legs, everywhere. But the tattoos on my arms were the best thing I ever got. Being able to wear a t-shirt and have no-one stare was amazing. The benefit I didn't expect though was the amount of compliments I get and the amount of friends I've made as a result.
The scars are still visible, especially the deep ones, but most people don't notice. And I've found the people who do notice are other S/H'ers or people who understand. I've spent a lot (£2000+) but every penny I've spent has increased my confidence. I'm not ashamed of my body anymore, and I've been swimming/sunbathing etc where my whole body has been exposed, including all the scars without tattoos covering them. I've been ok. I still want more tattoos, but that's because I love seeing my beautiful skin now, colourful and artistic, no just covering, but improving my body