• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Should I see a private pshychiatrist?

B

BlueWater

Where do you live? It ain't cheap here. BUt then again our insurance changed. It was only $35 for a psychiatrist appt before then.
I think $85/hour for an LPC is a good deal. I know a psych would be a lot more which is why I've stuck with my pdoc who prescribes psychiatric meds. A lot of GPs I've met have some leaning towards something: psychiatry, pediatrics, etc. Make take a little searching but it can be cheaper.

B

BlueWater

Where do you live? It ain't cheap here. BUt then again our insurance changed. It was only $35 for a psychiatrist appt before then.
My mom lives in a small town two states away. Her town is so small there's no psychiatric care. She drives over to a neighboring, slightly larger town of about 20,000 people that has a behavioral health center where she sees a psychiatrist and a counselor. She's on Medicare, has a fixed income and has been very fortunate to receive the care she gets. If I were living near her, I'd probably use insurance to see her guy. But I also might not have another choice else drive farther away. She's been treated well so I'm happy for her.

Jolly

Jolly

Hi,

I am currently seen by the adult mental health team under the NHS. The the care that I've been receiving unde NHS is very poor and almost dismissive. I was put on Lithium and although I made a little progress I am still not my old self. I can't go to a job, I can't clean around the house due to being very depressed, my brain is not working very well. I know a private psychiatrist costs lots of money but at least I would expect them to put me on the right treatment and listen to what I have to say. What do you think? Is it a good idea?
A consultant psychiatrist I know who is exceptional is £175 for an hour on Harley street. He usually charges £100 for follow up which lasts an hour. He is exceptionally brilliant. Just thought I would let you know. I would try the other option first though that the forum have suggested

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
private care is a sure way of depleting any money and unless your going to get bettter that money could be saved for more inportant things, in this country theres the means test anyway and if you have money you won't be entitled to means tested benefits

that guy in the hostel i was in paid for a private hospital care out of some money his nan had left him, he did get better aftercare than me sent home from highcroft with a bottle of largactol, in the long term whether it helped

U

Underdog21

Hello all,

I thought I would provide an update for those of you who have been kind enough to help me with an advice. I spoke to my care coordinator ( I got a new one, the old one was useless and apparently isn't working there anymore) and she got me to see a junior doctor to discuss my medication. From what I gather she plans to increase my lithium to a dose that might be tolerable by my body (I had side effects from a high dose of lithium). I also plan to discuss reducing my antipsychotic if she thinks that might be a good idea.

Wishbone

Wishbone

And how do you feel about that?

The thing to keep in mind with Lithium is that the levels in your system can change a bit with how hydrated you are, your weight etc, so keeping everything as consistent as possible is more than useful.

T

Traveler5

I'm self-insured but I do try to find the "best for less" otherwise it can get really expensive. I do have a great pdoc though -- in fact, all my docs are great. I won't tell you how much I pay but for the money, they're worth it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
some of us aren't insured 50 yrs ago it was assumed the cradle to grave welfare state would provide if you were sick ,so people didn't take out insurance, theres those oaps who just assumed the state pension would provide

U

Underdog21

And how do you feel about that?

The thing to keep in mind with Lithium is that the levels in your system can change a bit with how hydrated you are, your weight etc, so keeping everything as consistent as possible is more than useful.
Hi Wishbone,

That's a good question. I do believe that my weight plays a role in the lithium levels that I have in my body. I am overweight for my height so I do think that I need to have my dose increased. I also am very particular when it comes to hydration. I drink religiously 2 litres of water every day aside from tea or coffee. I have waited 8 months for my mood to improve and it's still not 100 per cent resolved. I don't know if I should request a med change or simply stick with the lithium but at a slightly higher dose.

T

Traveler5

Hello all,

I thought I would provide an update for those of you who have been kind enough to help me with an advice. I spoke to my care coordinator ( I got a new one, the old one was useless and apparently isn't working there anymore) and she got me to see a junior doctor to discuss my medication. From what I gather she plans to increase my lithium to a dose that might be tolerable by my body (I had side effects from a high dose of lithium). I also plan to discuss reducing my antipsychotic if she thinks that might be a good idea.
It sounds like you have a good doctor who is listening to you by adjusting your meds. What meds are you currently taking, and their dosage, besides Lithium?

U

Underdog21

It sounds like you have a good doctor who is listening to you by adjusting your meds. What meds are you currently taking, and their dosage, besides Lithium?
Hi Traveler,

This is not my doctor. He is just a junior doctor. Over the years I have spoken to many different doctors who have come and gone. The other medication that I take is Risperidone 4 mg.

T

Traveler5

Hi Traveler,

This is not my doctor. He is just a junior doctor. Over the years I have spoken to many different doctors who have come and gone. The other medication that I take is Risperidone 4 mg.
Risperidone. I'm on that - 3mg. Don't you just love that stuff?? For me, it gets me fat or fatter. It flat-lines my personality (turns my brain into mush). Causes memory loss -- I'll probably have an early onset of dementia/Alzheimer's. Makes me apathetic. And it kills your energy levels and makes you want to sleep all day.

Seriously, the above is all true for me, BUT it's better than nothing. It helps keep me even-keeled. Helps to control my anxiety. Stops the mania in my mind from running at 500 mph. And, despite all of the above, it makes me sane.

I've thought about trying Lithium just to see how it goes but have never got around to discussing it with my doctor.

T

Traveler5

Quick questions: What are your side effects on Lithium? And what were your side effects at a higher dose of Lithium? Thanks!

U

Underdog21

Risperidone. I'm on that - 3mg. Don't you just love that stuff?? For me, it gets me fat or fatter. It flat-lines my personality (turns my brain into mush). Causes memory loss -- I'll probably have an early onset of dementia/Alzheimer's. Makes me apathetic. And it kills your energy levels and makes you want to sleep all day.

Seriously, the above is all true for me, BUT it's better than nothing. It helps keep me even-keeled. Helps to control my anxiety. Stops the mania in my mind from running at 500 mph. And, despite all of the above, it makes me sane.

I've thought about trying Lithium just to see how it goes but have never got around to discussing it with my doctor.
Hi Traveler,

I agree that at a high dose of antipsychotic, Risperidone in our case there are many unwanted side effects. I feel like my brain is mush as well, it makes me feel like a vegetable and have no personality or emotions. Basically it robes me of my natural self or my personality.

With Lithium I have not noticed any side effects other than you need to stay hydrated while on it. Long term it has a negative effect on your kidneys and thyroid. If you can avoid Lithium I would do so. I was given Lithium because Risperidone on its own wasn't enough anymore, but if it was up to me I would probably not take it. Maybe in the future they can lower Risperidone if it's possible. I am planning to ask my psychiatristif I can lower my Risperidone.

T

Traveler5

Hi Traveler,

I agree that at a high dose of antipsychotic, Risperidone in our case there are many unwanted side effects. I feel like my brain is mush as well, it makes me feel like a vegetable and have no personality or emotions. Basically it robes me of my natural self or my personality.

With Lithium I have not noticed any side effects other than you need to stay hydrated while on it. Long term it has a negative effect on your kidneys and thyroid. If you can avoid Lithium I would do so. I was given Lithium because Risperidone on its own wasn't enough anymore, but if it was up to me I would probably not take it. Maybe in the future they can lower Risperidone if it's possible. I am planning to ask my psychiatristif I can lower my Risperidone.
Hi. Just so I understand better, you mentioned you have not noticed any side effects of taking Lithium, other than the need to stay hydrated but recommend to not take it. Is that because of what it can do to your kidneys and thyroid? Or is there something else? Thanks!