Should I report schizophrenic friend as a danger to himself and others?

F

freddy33

It's a really long story so i'll try to keep it brief.

A friend of mine(male) was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his early twenties(early thirties now). At first his delusions seemed insignificant but over time they got worse and he began believing he was being gangstalked, bugged, poisoned, 24/7 aerial surveillance. He was committed involuntarily to mental hospital three times over the span of a few yrs but his stays never lasted longer than a couple months.

He has been heavily medicated with various combinations of medications ever since his initial diagnosis. Sometimes whatever he was taking at time seemed to work a bit better than other times but really I don't believe the medications help him much at all and may of even made him worse overtime. They also made him gain well over a hundred pounds and he became really fat.

He suffers from all the whole spectrum of hallucinations, auditory, tactile, and visual(tho visual not often). He believes a shadowy government organization or collection of agencies constantly transmit messages into his head and talk to him all day long. The voices taunt him and call him a 'pedophile' and a 'terrorist'. He sees them as a mortal enemy. He has threatened to kill them. He has also told me they told him I was planning to kill him. He believes random people walking down the street are talking about him, people pass him and swear at him. He believes restaurant and food workers are constantly poisoning or otherwise tampering with his food. Food to him always tastes like ketchup, feces(human and/or animal), garbage, and most ridiculous of all 'baby semen'. He has gotten into heated arguments with these workers. He believes the government is constantly making him hot or cold to mess with him. He is constantly smelling various smells most commonly feces(human and or animal) or a chemical smell, sometimes candy. He believes random people 'fart at him' all the time. He has accused me of doing this and his cat who is apparently the gassiest cat to ever exist.

Over the years he has deteriorated further and can now barely drive his car without getting into a car accident. One of which while I was in the car(a rental he got just that day after getting into another accident the day prior). He became extremely antisocial to a point where I believe it could be a matter of time he gets killed by someone for spitting at them. He believes his spit is poisonous so he constantly spits but while in public he will spit right at peoples feet. He became so negative he no longer enjoys anything and is constantly in a dark mood.

A few months back he invited me to go for a dayout and this was around the point where I was going to cut him off from my life but I agreed to go and went to a popular river spot with him. While there he was spitting on the ground everywhere and in front of people and families and I continuously asked him to stop. After I found a spot by river with no one around he said he had to go back to his car for a minute and he drove off and left me there which I was expecting because before he left he told me he hoped I drown in the river. And he had a history of dropping people off in middle of nowhere and leaving them there. He later texted me with an expletive laden text telling me to never boss him around again and some incomprehensible nonsense about me being an incestuous pedophile and raping some guys daughter.

Anyway it's been a few months since i've seen him and i've thought about reporting him as a danger to himself and others. I was the only person in his life he ever mentioned his delusions to, at least in detail. And never spoke with anyone else on an often basis. I don't think others around him(few in number) realize how much of a danger he is not just driving his car while heavily medicated and constantly halfway drunk. Has threatened to kill himself, has asked me to join suicide pact, has threatened to kill the people behind the voices in his head and those tampering with his food. I believe he'll most likely end up killing someone with his car and not go postal though the latter wouldn't be surprising either.

K

Kelly B

I’m bipolar 1 and my oldest brother is schizophrenic. (Mental illness runs in my family). If it were my brother I would do something. It might feel like you’re betraying him but you’re not. He needs help and you might be the only one who cares enough to get it for him. That’s my opinion anyway.

J

Jonathan_P

Yes definitely. He needs help and that would be the best/kind thing to do for him.

HTH.
: (

K

Kelly B

It really would be. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. It’s not an easy thing to do but it’s the right thing to do. Please let me know how it all turns out.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

You will be doing him and innocent people a favor. You never know what could go wrong then you will be dealing with the guilt why you didn’t take action.

You’re a good friend and that’s why you feel this burden of reporting him.

fazza

fazza

Yes. I can say this wholeheartedly. As I was out of control listening to voices claiming to be the devil. I was a risk to myself and others including my family. I dread to think what would have happened if my wife did not lick up the phone to my care team.

You may feel guilty for reporting your friend but can you imagine how guilty you would feel if something terrible happened.

Best wishes to you

fazza

fazza

Clozapine worked for me but It hated my white blood cells. Had to come off it.