Should I disclose social anxiety at a job interview?

123sam321

Hi all,

I'm 27 and suffer with social anxiety, that only seems to be getting worse with age. I'm working full time at the moment, but looking for a new job, hopefully an accounts / finance role. I'm lòoking to leave because our office size has just quadrupled due to an office merge, and I just cannot cope with the new numbers.

My question is, should I mention social anxiety at interviews to potential employers?

My hope is that they will empathise with me, and understand some of my short comings. I never have disclosed this before and often end up getting encouraged into situations that often trigger SA - usually because my employer has had my best interests in mind, not understanding my struggles.

I am undecided about this, as I'm worried I will be overlooked for a candidate who doesn't appear to be such gamble. However, on the other hand, if I'm going to get another job that triggers SA, I will be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. If I am going to be discriminated against, then would it still be better to keep disclosing it until I find an employer who does understand and can accommodate it for me? Rather than potentially getting a job quick and end up stuck in a similar or worse situation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

A

anxiousbee

There are definitely pros and cons, but I think you should mention your social anxiety and explain it to them the best you can. Maybe ask them questions about the things you're worried about too. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't take social anxiety seriously, but you should still be honest because your mental health is important

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

i personally would not the majority of employers will look at you as a liability its best to get the job then tell them eventually if they wrongfully sack you have rights based on some kind of act depending where you live