• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Should I discharge myself?

M

Meredithmay

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder and the last 3 years have been very difficult due to illness, family breakdown and hospital admission on section.

I have now made good progress and had good quality support from the CMHT as well as finding the right medication at the lowest dose possible.

In this present climate of cuts in funding CMHTs cannotkeep people indefinately on their case loads because there are back logs to attend to and less staff to pick up the work load.

My recovery is short lived and very recent and I am a little scared that it may not last but when I visited my GP he said I had favourable reports from the pdoc who is totally new. I asked him about discharge and he said there was no mention but it may be likely judging from his knowledge about the way they work.

I have 2 appointments arranged - one with the pdoc and another with the CPN. Should I take charge of the situation and thank them and discharge myself. I am not keen on goodbyes and do not want to react badly at the time so this way it is under my control. I did contact the CPN and she said there were no plans to discharge me and if there were it would be mutually decided.

My worry is that I do not have a named GP and see someone different each time as they are such a large practice.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
I understand about wanting it under your control, but I don't think you should let that be your reason for discharging yourself. Better to discuss with them the lines you are thinking along, make sure they understand the ending may be difficult for you, and come up with a mutual plan. Glad you are feeling better, but be careful not to rush things, you are still entitled to help if you need it x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Honestly, when they feel the time is right, your mental health team will suggest a discharge.
I know there is a lot of funding problems with the NHS right now, and when you feel ok it sometimes feels like perhaps you don't need to be under the care of the mental health team, but when you've got a condition that fluctuates it's best to keep seeing them.

M

Meredithmay

Thank you both for replying - I really appreciate and value your comments. I will not do anything just now and trust that any discharge will be mutually agreed and not just sprung on me.

x Mm

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M I know I should set boundaries, so why don't I feel like it? Getting Your Life Back! 5
gt86 Should I see a doctor about this? Getting Your Life Back! 15
O Should I do this if I can't function daily? Getting Your Life Back! 3
S Wasting away, what should I be doing? Getting Your Life Back! 4
R my mentor befriender should i pay for him Getting Your Life Back! 27
M Should I feel guilty about retiring at the age of 30? Getting Your Life Back! 16
N Should I Participate in a Success Story video report? Getting Your Life Back! 3
L Worried about my Dad, should I be Getting Your Life Back! 3
S Should I Get a Job? Getting Your Life Back! 10
SBRicketts Mental hospital:how it should be. Getting Your Life Back! 2
AliceinWonderland 10 Reasons why you should never be ashamed of your mental illness Getting Your Life Back! 13
X Should I end it all? Getting Your Life Back! 13
cpuusage Reboot Your Life: 20 Mental Barriers You Should Let Go Of Getting Your Life Back! 2
S should i stop exercising ? Getting Your Life Back! 3
cpuusage 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy Getting Your Life Back! 4
S Quitting antipsychotics - how should I do it? Getting Your Life Back! 54
PerfectSurvivor Should I go self employed? Getting Your Life Back! 16
Zanily Should I ask for my old job back? Getting Your Life Back! 2
NicoretteGummed Should more Careers Guidance Councellors be available to people with Mental Health Problems?? Getting Your Life Back! 3
G Where should I work? Getting Your Life Back! 3
coldwater00 Discharge from services and plans for moving on in life Getting Your Life Back! 3
Volbe I managed to stop starving myself. Getting Your Life Back! 3
F Stood up for myself tonight. Getting Your Life Back! 15
C Thinking about putting myself out there with online dating as a form of recovery Getting Your Life Back! 4
P I’m going to heal myself Getting Your Life Back! 5
A 5 Reasons I'm Glad I Got the F*ck Over Myself and Went to Therapy Getting Your Life Back! 1
M Working to better myself Getting Your Life Back! 5
American Boy Right now I feel like killing myself Getting Your Life Back! 21
B After much debating with myself... Im coming off meds this year. Getting Your Life Back! 5
BorderlineDownunder Putting Myself First Getting Your Life Back! 9
J How i get myself over depression Getting Your Life Back! 1
H Being nice to myself is always difficult even when I have done some really great things Getting Your Life Back! 13
bcn68smile introducing myself here Getting Your Life Back! 3
cpuusage Laura Delano on Recovering Myself Getting Your Life Back! 7
The Big Dawg Not sure how to explain myself Getting Your Life Back! 11
H Can i get myself sectioned? Getting Your Life Back! 4
cpuusage “Do I Have to Feel so Badly About Myself?” – The Legacies of Guilt, Shame and Anxiety Getting Your Life Back! 1
BlackNGreen I want to isolate myself from the world Getting Your Life Back! 3
M considering checking myself in for treatment Getting Your Life Back! 15
N New care coordinator as bad as the old one, discharging myself to GP's care, anyone know if it will be used against me? Getting Your Life Back! 7
meeshmallow Trying to rebuild myself after the abuse Getting Your Life Back! 14
Maya J Want myself and my identity back Getting Your Life Back! 1
D I'll explain myself..... Getting Your Life Back! 2
I hello i'm new to the group and just thought i would introduce myself Getting Your Life Back! 5
S Let Me Introduce Myself. Getting Your Life Back! 1
G Pleased with Myself Getting Your Life Back! 8
R Bloody proud of myself Getting Your Life Back! 6
M i miss myself``` Getting Your Life Back! 4