• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Should i continue

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive had 3 weeks of complex psychotherapy and to begin with it was really boring. But when i went yesterday he seemed to change his questioning. He went very deep asking about how i felt when i was younger.After a while i just burst into tears and felt a real fool, I said i wanted to leave the session but he asked me to stay and finish the sesion, which i did.

When i got home i felt so totally exhausted that i had to go to bed.

Has anyone had this complex psychotherapy.If so how did you feel,and did you get any benefit from it.

Thanks Daf

N

NrLondonGuy

Never really heard of it byt really interested to know what it is what what you are gettign it for if okay to ask

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Never really heard of it byt really interested to know what it is what what you are gettign it for if okay to ask
No dont mind at all.To make it as short as possible.I was physically abused by my mother (my dad was wonderful ) ihad mental health problems starting in my teenage years. I had many ups and downs including anorexia.I then married a very violent alchoholic (didnt realise how bad it was till it was too late), other things have happened but too many to list.

I was diagnosed with bipolar 7 years ago but after a very bad episode last year when i was admitted to acute care.After 3 months they changed my DX
to schitzo affective dissorder and said that what had happened inthe past,was possibly the cause of my problems and thought this kind of therapy would be good for me.

What happens is that the therapist basically gets you to talk about your life
and at certain points asks you how you felt, and what was the outcome and what did i think of the outcome. The thing is that that i started telling him things that i had completly forgotten, and thats when i started to get upset. I am really concerned and frightened as to what will happen as these sessions continue. Im not sure if i want someone knowing all about me.

Sorry if ive rambled on a bit

Last edited:
N

NrLondonGuy

Intersting that I asked because I think I may have a similar but differetn situaiton. I have all these emotions and stuff stuffed away and am shit scared about letting them out which they will come out at Maudsley in therpay. The way I will go about it is that they have to come out, yes it is very painful, emotional, extremely difficult but better to do that in a profesisonal ebvirnment with peopel who know how to handle that then go home and it all comes out unsupervised in a supermarket. If its stuck in there then figure its somethignh that shoudl come out and once its come out and yoru done all teh screaming, crying etc etc and built yourself from there with their professional help then that will be for the better.

Also don't worry about them knowing all about you as everything is 100% confidential and the only poeple who owuld ever be contacted woudl be emergency services if you were a danger to yourself or anyone else. Better to tell them evrything in your mind as you don;t want to miss anything important. Ask about confidentuality if you are worried as they will reasure you - I mean it won't be braodcast on TV so no worries. Sounds a bit like repressed memeories or emotions - better to let them come out with a professioanal then supress them for another 10 years then it all comes out in a supermarket and you are freaking out on the floor and maybe have to wait 6 montsh for therpay.

Please note as I don't know your peronsla siutaitosn and illness this is just my own peronsla opinion based on myself. Just if soemthing stuck in there better to let it out with guidance cos it probably want to come out someday or is affecting you subconciously somehow and causing you problems which is why they want you to get it out. Therapy can be one of the most painful things but you will feel much better for it afterwrads in the long run having delat with issues cauing you to be unwell. It will be less painfull i the long run then if you prehaps don't deal with these issues.

Last edited: