• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Should I be concerned about my changing relationship with food?

• Thread starter strawberrywater
  • Start date
S

strawberrywater

I used to never have a problem with food, always a moderate eater. I was never a big fan of strong smelling foods, but now I'm noticing it's expanding to pretty much the smell of all food when it's cooking.
I live in an apartment building where I get the constant smell of other people's cooking, and it's extremely unpleasant to the point I've been physically sick. My neighbors fry onions and garlic several times a week, fry fish, and mostly cook with a lot of grease, and burn it most of the time (it's not ethnic cooking, it's more like just people who can't and shouldn't be cooking, other neighbors have complained about the smell). Even sometimes when it's not a really bad smell, it's just that the apartment constantly smells of food... and I cannot stand it. It's like living in a restaurant. I cannot move due to financial difficulty.
Because it happens so much, my clothes/bedding/curtains, pretty much everything I own stinks like grease and onions/garlic. I've been told by others that my hair stinks, even after I just washed it. It's all because of where I live (which adds to my depression. I take pride in being clean and I invest in expensive perfumes... but none of that matters because the bad odors overpower everything).
Anyway, I'm starting to hate my own cooking, and I don't use onions, garlic, spices, etc. I cook ground meat in water, never oil, and season things with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. I like it simple. However, I'm starting to hate the smell of meat cooking... I even hate plain pasta boiling. Because I notice after that my clothes smell and to me, it's very strong.
I know it's an irrational thing to be so extremely bothered by, but I feel like it's something I should be concerned about. I'm beginning to be repulsed by any food that's cooking.
Now I'm not eating much other than coffee, trail mix, homemade smoothies, and tea with cookies. But see, I love baked goods - I love to bake things and I love those sweet smells. But regular food -- I'm repulsed.
My aunt is actually somewhat like this, and it's affected her for years. She can eat nothing but cake in a week and nothing else. She doesn't like regular food too much except pizza and potatoes but in small portions. She's not over or under weight, but she's not healthy because she lacks proper nutrition. I feel like this is the direction I'm heading.
Obviously I feel it's bad associations with food is to blame (neighbors who cook really bad, often). I'm beginning to skip food all together at least 1-2 times a week because the smell just makes me feel sick.
Is this a mental thing, due to the bad association? Could it also be a physical thing, or genes since my aunt is like this?

P

Purpleplum

Maybe you're hating the smell of their cooking because you've learned to hate those foods.

Many of us would love to live on sweet things. .sugar is addicting...but we know we can't. You can try to make yourself do what's right for body. Baked goods are just an extra...we can't live on them.

Your body right now is lacking nutrients and you're feeding it with sugar and fat. Sugar and fat makes you feel good when you eat it, but it keeps your body starving and you want more of it because it raises your blood sugar fast and then you crash. It's an addiction.

S

strawberrywater

Maybe you're hating the smell of their cooking because you've learned to hate those foods.

Many of us would love to live on sweet things. .sugar is addicting...but we know we can't. You can try to make yourself do what's right for body. Baked goods are just an extra...we can't live on them.

Your body right now is lacking nutrients and you're feeding it with sugar and fat. Sugar and fat makes you feel good when you eat it, but it keeps your body starving and you want more of it because it raises your blood sugar fast and then you crash. It's an addiction.
I understand what you are saying, but I think I may have not communicated my situation correctly. I've always been an average eater - I love veggies and fruits, and usually stay away from fast foods. I don't live solely on sweets, so sorry if I made it sound like that. I've always been eating just fine, but recently I'm hating food all around, other than my already liking of sweets. There's something about food cooking that now turns my stomach and makes me not want to eat at all. Hope that clears things up.

P

Purpleplum

I understand what you are saying, but I think I may have not communicated my situation correctly. I've always been an average eater - I love veggies and fruits, and usually stay away from fast foods. I don't live solely on sweets, so sorry if I made it sound like that. I've always been eating just fine, but recently I'm hating food all around, other than my already liking of sweets. There's something about food cooking that now turns my stomach and makes me not want to eat at all. Hope that clears things up.
I had understood that from you first post. ☺I'm saying in my post that currently you're only eating sugary foods/baked goods. Isn't that correct?

S

strawberrywater

I had understood that from you first post. ☺I'm saying in my post that currently you're only eating sugary foods/baked goods. Isn't that correct?
Oh, not entirely. I have coffee in the morning, then trail mix or an orange in the middle, then sometimes I have normal dinner but I'm skipping it more often. I'll have a cup of tea and a couple cookies at night. I meant that I still like sweets/baked goods, but no I don't eat just that, and I don't eat it in excess lol. My problem is not eating 'real' meals, ones that are balanced and often cooked. I just don't want to eat a lot anymore. (I'm a few shy years of 30 if that helps? Female)