• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Should I again offer my friend help to look for online therapy?

S

snoobananas

A friend is going through a really bad time (school, money, etc.) and relapsed a few months back (she used to self harm years ago). She told me about it and we talked it through, plus a few other times when she had the urge and needed someone to talk to. This is all through texting since we're currently in different countries.

I will say now that I have no problem being part of her support system. This isn't a daily (or even weekly) thing so it's not debilitating at all.

I once asked if she'd like help finding free (because money issues) online (because COVID) counseling but she didn't think it would help. She said simply being able to unreservedly voice how she's feeling helps her rationale take back control.

She'd done therapy in the past and said it was helpful. Considering that, I'm taking her word for it that this would be somehow different.

Last night, she was breaking down and fighting the urge to self-harm. After talking for a bit, she went to bed laughing and loving herself and everything she has.

The fact remains that I'm not a trained professional.

What do you all think?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think it is lovely you care for your friend. I would urge them to talk to their doctor. Her urges to SH really do need being treated by a professional. Therapy is a great idea too.

S

snoobananas

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think it is lovely you care for your friend. I would urge them to talk to their doctor. Her urges to SH really do need being treated by a professional. Therapy is a great idea too.
Would you happen to know how to search for services outside your own country (even with a different native language)?

bpd2020

bpd2020

I would google 'free therapy in Russia (or whatever the country is). It may be better for your friend to look that up as they are in the country.