• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Should disabled workers get equal pay?

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Suppose a person with a disability does the same kind of job as a healthy person but is only half as productive. Does the disabled worker deserve to be paid as much as the healthy one?

vanish

vanish

Staff Member on Leave
In my country, if they weren't paid the same for the same job, the employer would be liable under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. So yes, they should be paid the same rate.

M

MinnieMoo

Do you have an example?
Personally I wouldn’t want to do a job I wasn’t suited to (I’m not disabled so I’m not sure how I’d feel if I was). But I do think people can bring something to a team that isn’t just figures and results.
I think efforts must be made by an employer to ensure things are in place to enable that person to do the job adequately. Someone else might be more ‘productive’ but may leave the company quicker or be less reliable, less of a team player, etc etc.
People should get the same money for doing the same job but from what I’ve seen that’s rarely how it works.

R

rawlinsc

I read people with disabilities that work at sheltered workshops get paid less than the minimum wage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nirvana2991 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16