Shortness of breath

BadCow

BadCow

Lately my anxiety has caused me to have shortness of breath. I feel sure it's due to that because it only bothers me when I'm sitting there doing nothing. If I'm active or working it doesn't happen. It's that feeling of needing to get that full breath of air. Have no problem holding my breath for long periods of time swimming laps in my pool. It actually feels like it's related to my stomach bloating, which is another issue I have. Any thoughts?

P

Pink1234

That sounds a little like a symptom that my wife used to have(she suffers with GAD).

My wife would be sitting and then suddenly gasp for air because she would unintentionally hold her breath. An increased dose of her anti-anxiety meds seems to have solved the issue for my wife.

BadCow

BadCow

That sounds a little like a symptom that my wife used to have(she suffers with GAD).

My wife would be sitting and then suddenly gasp for air because she would unintentionally hold her breath. An increased dose of her anti-anxiety meds seems to have solved the issue for my wife.
It use to happen to me years ago, then went away. Now it has returned. Seems like when I take a good breath through my abdomen it helps a lot. But like I said, it don't happen if I am busy doing something. It's when my mind is idle. And when I lay down to go to sleep, nothing, not one breathing issue at all. It's weird, and it bothers me. I even took off on my mountain bike the other day. Rode 4 miles, when I got back home I was hardly exhausted, felt fine actually. I try to keep my mind off it, that's all I can do really.

Thanks for the response.

L

Lissy39

Yea I had this all last year. Was bad after walking about but mainly just sat still when focussing on it. Definitely a GAD/anxiety symptom.. the less I feared it the better, it eventually got much better after 8 bad months of it daily. It sometimes triggered bad panic, I know how horrible it can be.

BadCow

BadCow

Yea I had this all last year. Was bad after walking about but mainly just sat still when focussing on it. Definitely a GAD/anxiety symptom.. the less I feared it the better, it eventually got much better after 8 bad months of it daily. It sometimes triggered bad panic, I know how horrible it can be.
Like yesterday it was barely noticeable. Today it has been BAD. If it doesn't improve soon I will have to go see a doctor. Need to make sure it's not "heart related". You know how this is. When you have something like this going on, you ALWAYS think the worst. That's the nature of this ANXIETY beast, worry & fear constantly. Other than that I feel GREAT.

Thank you for your response.

L

Lissy39

Like yesterday it was barely noticeable. Today it has been BAD. If it doesn't improve soon I will have to go see a doctor. Need to make sure it's not "heart related". You know how this is. When you have something like this going on, you ALWAYS think the worst. That's the nature of this ANXIETY beast, worry & fear constantly. Other than that I feel GREAT.

Thank you for your response.
I had the same worries about my heart, I still do when it flares up. Im sure it's just anxiety.

BadCow

BadCow

I had the same worries about my heart, I still do when it flares up. Im sure it's just anxiety.
Just got back from vacation at St. George Island, and I feel GREAT. The shortness of breath thing is all but gone now. Apparently it is from anxiety. I barely even notice it now. It's weird but I'm happy to know it was NOT anything serious.