shortness of breath and lifestyle

A

Ajc1988

people will probably start to get fed up with me posting about this, i am if im honest lol but its still there after months
I do have asthma or so im told, my peak flow is really good and is pretty much always the same, blood pressure and oxygen levels also good. I have even started going to the gym and doing yoga and tai chi
but my throat still feels sore and tight and like i cant get that full breath. I am a fair bit over weight as this is the heaviest i have been. 30yr old male 6ft1 in height and 19.4st and thats around 265 pounds. Poor diet and poor sleeping habbits
Any advice and input will be greatly received
Thank you

A

Ajc1988

yes i do, for the last 10yrs

K

kayclay

Makes sense! I've also struggled with anxiety for the last ten years, and recently I've had a similar problem.

I don't have asthma, but thought that's what I was experiencing. Turns out, I have some significant muscle tension in my throat. Essentially, from struggling with anxiety, I've carried a lot of tension in my neck, shoulders, and chest, and apparently throat as well. Now when I talk, eat, breathe, I can often feel my throat tightening up and it is really, really anxiety inducing.

I saw a speech therapist which has been AMAZING. Lots of breathing exercises from the diaphragm instead of the chest, and gentle neck stretches. After one week I'm already feeling significant relief (breathing from the diaphragm takes the stress off of your neck and throat muscles, and also helps reduce anxiety!). She told me that muscle tension and vocal cord dysfunction are common in people with anxiety, and very treatable.

Does that sound like what you might be experiencing? You can look into Muscle Tension Dysphonia exercises to see if that gives you any relief.