• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Shortly approaching CBT session, advice?

C

coraline1664

On wednesday I have an appointment with a CBT trainee on the NHS, which wasn't quite as good as I hoped for but want to go in with a calm attitude and try to be as open minded as possible without feeling walked on or having my contributions dismissed. I want to get as much out of it as I can. Does anyone have any tips on how to be listened to and having effective and successful sessions?
E

C

Culture Vulture

Founding Member
Hi there - I haven't had CBT sessions so I can't advise on that. I have had sessions with a psychologist, psychotherapist and psychiatrist.
What I found useful before these sessions was to write 3-5 questions or issues that I wanted to get across. I found that there was often sooo much I wanted to talk about I didn't know where to start .
So by narrowing it down to 3-5 succinct points it made me feel I had more control over the session -without being led by my emotions or by the other person.
May not suit what you want but I just thought i'd share my experience with you. I hope it goes well for you.

C

coraline1664

-

Thank you for the advice. :)
I have got a few main points written down now + I'm taking a little notebook to write any information down.

P

patashoo

Hi,
I've had CBT but it was private although the therapist does also work for NHS. Stick with it. It can be hard work but definately worthwhile. Good Luck.

C

coraline1664

-

Thank you
I've had a few sessions before but wasn't really ready for it in my mind, I was just a bit too confused to take on anything new I think.
I am practising mindfulness at home now which is helping, i got back into the swing of it a couple of days ago and have felt less stressed. I can imagine that and CBT would go well together. I have everything prepared ready to go so my mind will be as clear as possible tomorrow.

P

patashoo

Mindfulness is very good. I find it quite difficult at times. My CBT therapist taught me how to be mindful and be in the 'here and now'. I also try to use it for pain relief. Again, Good Luck. It's a tough old world.

C

coraline1664

-

Me too, it can be quite difficult, I just try not to beat myself up for struggling. I think sometimes just breathing techniques alone can be more effective when you are very anxious.
I have used it for back pain and it was very good.

micox

micox

CBT preparation

Keep a detailed daily diary of ordinary, even petty events and the automatic thoughts surrounding them - i.e. Had a cup of coffee at 9.30 - 'must hurry this or I'll be late.':tea::tea::tea: