• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Short Schizophrenia mini-Documentary

Mark_01

Mark_01

Short documentary about a schizophrenic in San Francisco. Interesting to note, one of his sons has schizophrenia as well, which, I guess, supports the genetic theory.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Short documentary about a schizophrenic in San Francisco. Interesting to note, one of his sons has schizophrenia as well, which, I guess, supports the genetic theory.
Interesting film (only watched part 1 so far though Mark)

Rather than genetic theory, I don't see what's wrong with him. He's just doing what he wants to do.

In today's western society it's no wonder he's acting in a manner that doesn't befit social normality, there isn't much choice.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Like him, I too hurt my family; my son wanted a normal father, my parents wanted a normal son. They constantly worried about me wandering from one city to the next; menial jobs, homeless. I tried to be normal, but it never worked out. I understand what he is doing, and he does not have much of a choice in the matter, he has to do what he is doing.

My mind is very tired tonight, it hasn't been a good day, so I must sleep.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Being homeless and mentally ill is not a romantic lifestyle, it is hard and dangerous, and it will always be so. We have become a cold technological world that demands conformity, and we cannot return to a tribal existence no matter how much we wish it to happen. Those of us who are patients in the mental health system are lucky if we get roof over our heads and enough benefits to survive.

I watched the Terence Mckennas film. I take serious issue with what he has to say. Recreational drugs like LSD, hash, and marijuana do not bestow enlightenment. If you constantly take those drugs, you are constantly stoned. In a way, you are intentionally becoming mentally ill. Mental illness destroys lives, and can cause considerable pain to a person's family.

My parents lived in constant fear of what I was going to do next. More than once in my life, I have simply walked out the door, literally leaving every thing I owned behind, and gone to live a life of extreme poverty and homelessness. It is something you can't control, nor grow out of. I joined this forum roughly a year and a half ago, in the beginning, I was seriously thinking of leaving my shack in the mountains and going to the New England Center for Homeless Veterans on the other side of America. My psychiatrist adjusted my medications and I became stable enough to realize that it was a bad idea, but I still want to do it.

In our society, I feel like we are square pegs being pounded into round holes. We just don't fit.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Yes, I have, back in the late 60's and early 70's. It is the same now as it was then; people get stoned and act stupid.

Mark_01

Mark_01

And there is a big difference between a controlled clinical study and buying mushrooms from Dealer McDope on the street corner.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Not threatened in the least; having lunch tomorrow with a friend who smokes weed almost everyday. He has tried to explain it to me, and because I have used it long ago, it is impossible to fool me; the end product is, he is getting stoned. When he drinks a lot, he gets drunk. I am taking depression, mood, and an anti-psychotic, but my purpose is not to get stoned, it is to be relatively normal. When I am not taking my drugs, people think I'm stoned.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Followed your links, one doesn't work, as for the other, I read your comment and looked at your drawings.

I am sure that you, and the people you mentioned (I Goggled them), were inspired by taking psychedelics, but that doesn't change the fact that they took drugs for their inspiration, nor does it alter the fact that they got stoned. If you want to take drugs, that is fine with me, but you are not going to convince me that you, or the people you mentioned, have attained enlightenment from taking drugs.

Mark_01

Mark_01

I don't think your last post made it to the boards, at least I can't see it. Came through on email.

Ok, I'm fine with what you have to say.

Except for the one link, when I follow the links to shoomery, it asks me to sign in.

Edit: the second one I can see.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Ok, I'll wait, and I will read what you have to say.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Are all the drawing yours? I especially liked Paradoxal. I enjoyed Story about God and Source. One problem, and this is not a criticism, is that when the writing goes across the entire screen, it is difficult to read. This forum uses about a third of my screen and it is easier to read. I like what you write, and read your entire post a couple of times. Could polar opposites also be normal and abnormal? They are difficult definitions, but it is something many of us here struggle with, there is light and darkness. And, there is that small area where they overlap and join together. Did you see the movie Donnie Darko?

This is me and Tinker. The link is to the Member's Gallery here on the forum.

shaky

shaky

Followed your links, one doesn't work, as for the other, I read your comment and looked at your drawings.

I am sure that you, and the people you mentioned (I Goggled them), were inspired by taking psychedelics, but that doesn't change the fact that they took drugs for their inspiration, nor does it alter the fact that they got stoned. If you want to take drugs, that is fine with me, but you are not going to convince me that you, or the people you mentioned, have attained enlightenment from taking drugs.
Yes, I think there is a difference between taking drugs enter a mind-altered state and doing it via meditation or yoga or nature or nudity or physical exercise or whatever.
Like you say, taking drugs is just messing with the brain and thereby mimicking mental illness of some kind.
In order to be wiser one has to have experience and discipline - not just take a bunch of chemicals.