• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

SHIFT survey

S

Starbright

There has been a SHIFT survey to identify current attitudes towards mental illness and mentally ill people.

I was sent a link to it and I should have kept it and given it to you here but I read the summary and deleted it.

In some areas attitudes are improving slightly, with about 70 - 80 % of people thinking positive things, but there are other areas where the attitudes suck. One of these is that only about 30% of people think that if a woman has been in a psychiatric hospital, she is safe to babysit their kids.

I'm going to see if I can find this survey online and will come back and edit this post and include it.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsStatistics/DH_084478

At the bottom of this page it says Download Attitudes to Mental Illness 2008 Research Report (PDF, 545K) and you just have to click on this. The report summary is first so you don't have to wade through the entire report.

Last edited:
yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Thanks for supplying that link Starbright,it makes very interesting reading
:)