• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

    If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sheltered Accommodation - Carer - Paranoia



New member
Mar 9, 2015
Hi everyone,

My mother in law suffers from schizophrenia and has been sectioned a few times. She's great day to day but suffers from instant, intense bouts of paranoia and depression which mean that she needs someone to keep her company every day.

The in-laws are looking to move house and want to know what options are available to them. They are looking in the south west, and would ideally like to move into some form of sheltered accommodation with a psych nurse or carer who can sit and keep her company for 1-2 days a week so that he can get out and about.

Are there any options like this around? He currently doesn't claim any benefits as he wants to keep her away from the stress of regular assessments (she see's a consultant monthly already), but would she be able to get any financial assistance with this?

Sorry for the vague post, but we just wanted to start to explore options.

Thanks in advance!


Well-known member
Aug 17, 2012
The West Country
There are options for sheltered accommodation like that around, yes.
But I do think that she may need to be in receipt of benefits in order to qualify - i'm not entirely sure about this, so don't take my word for it. I suppose each organisation would have their own rules.
The best thing you could do is to contact the council of wherever it is that the in laws are thinking and speak to the housing options team.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3