shamanism & scizophrenia Link

A

Apotheosis

http://www.izzysmadicon.com/2008/03/shamanism-ans-schizophrenia.html

http://www.dotsub.com/view/c0ba01ba-67ca-4433-84fa-5bdd4ce52ade

http://theicarusproject.net/campus-organizing/neil-gong2

Perhaps the biggest leap for a scientist is accepting multiple truths. The important thing here is to recognize that the critique isn’t simply about neuroscience being right or wrong. It is about seeing the multiple, coinciding realities to every situation. Yes, “symptoms” may be there, but they only gain resonance when humans add meaning to them. Meeting someone with a different perception of reality can have many different interpretations. To pathologize this person as crazy is certainly one interpretation, but it is not necessarily the best, most accurate, or only “true” one. Take for instance, the experience of hearing voices. Some cultures believe that a person hearing voices is having a shamanistic experience. Indeed, this person might become a spiritual leader. Using the lens of bio-psychiatry, we could go into that other culture and spot what looks to be textbook DSM schizophrenia. On the other hand, using the lens of shamanism, we could go into a mental hospital and find a group of people in touch with the divine. Now it may seem obvious to bio-psychiatrist that all shaman are really schizophrenics, and that the cultures they live in simply haven’t been exposed to modern mental diagnostic procedures. The other way of looking at this, however, is to understand that truth is unstable and is intimately shaped by the language we use. There may be an experience that the “schizophrenic” or “shaman” has, but as human beings we can only describe that experience by imbuing it with language and subjective meaning. There is no objective acquisition of it. The meaning we choose to give it creates consequences that will affect the life of the “schizophrenic” or “shaman.” Returning to self-fulfilling prophecy theory, the person hearing voices can be made to experience each way of life through the very labeling and social reinforcement of terms like shamanism or schizophrenia. This is to say that the experience of and reaction to shamanism and schizophrenia are socially constructed.

S

Starbright

Possible - my message is too short so I'm writing this too

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Lots of interesting ideas about shamanism and our experiences. I shall attempt to present a notion which may have some resonance, that it is our society that has become too organised, and structure-conscious and inquisitorial regarding how individual people seek to live out their lives.

There used to be room for the eccentric, or people who march to a different drum and live rich lives of internal exploration, retreating internally sometimes to recharge our batteries, meditate, or commune with nature in solitary pursuits, etc. It seems we can no longer do this without the long inquisitorial finger being pointed at us or being ostracised as 'odd', or all the other stigmatising abuses to be hurled at the 'loner'... we have shamanism to thank that in more traditional societies, with more ancient cultures and religions - in India, for instance, the people are far more accepting and aware of the rare giftedness which is the nature of people who like us have something of schizophrenia about them. We might not be revered, so much as 'more accepted' for who we are and where we are coming from. Recovery rates from ill-health are far better in these societies than in the west.

The west is busy burning its boats against any form of religious adherence or cultural affinity to the social traditions that have brought man-kind this far. It will be on the heads of everyone if the result is a down-wards spiral into an anarchy with no human values left to defend, and a descent into barbarism which results from sweeping away the accuumulated social awareness and customs that used to typify the people who lived in these islands. We cannot say no one has been warned: a society is aptly judged for the way in which it treats its vulnerable citizens. Bog-standard conditions for us point to a degenerate society that has lost its way.

Is this of interest to anyone else on this site? I hope it can at least raise a discussion anyway.

A

Apotheosis

It will be on the heads of everyone if the result is a down-wards spiral into an anarchy with no human values left to defend, and a descent into barbarism which results from sweeping away the accuumulated social awareness and customs that used to typify the people who lived in these islands. We cannot say no one has been warned: a society is aptly judged for the way in which it treats its vulnerable citizens. Bog-standard conditions for us point to a degenerate society that has lost its way.

Is this of interest to anyone else on this site? I hope it can at least raise a discussion anyway.
Thank You Rambuie for your thoughtful, articulate, honest & intelligent reply to my post. These matters are of great interest to me - & I know a few others. I have long since concluded there is no going back - we will all have to go through whatever is before us & hopefully on the other side things will be different. As our societies stand - The World is Rotten to the core.