• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

shaky hands

S

searchingfor

I am 25 and social anxiety has been present since my early years. The thing is the shaking in my hands whenever I have a social interaction is coming to a frustrating point. I have been dealing with this for 8 years now and it is not getting any better. The only thing that efficiently reduces it is drinking alcohol, which is a solution I do not find the healthiest, to say the least. I avoid many daily tasks in fear of feeling triggered by the slightest thing and ending up embarrassing myself. I do not want to turn to alcohol, but medication never worked in this regard. Anyone struggling too or having dealt with it in the past?

H

Huckleberry

It is probably your meds and the alcohol makes your meds ineffective. Unless you are an alcoholic in which case your shaking would be from withdrawal

Z

Zoe1

hi searchingfor :welcome: !

there are sub forums here you might find helpful
one on substance misuse and one on anxiety
plus anything else that interests you

I hope you find it helpful here

:grouphug:

S

searchingfor

the shakings started before I began taking meds and I don't regularly drink. I only do to calm down in this kind of situations but I actually hate drinking (meaning I am not fond of it)

Z

Zoe1

sounds like a job for some sort of valium at a low dosage to me
on prescription though

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Have you ever tried any therapy?
CBT can be good.
Hope you can overcome this very soon.
Hugs

S

searchingfor

Hi,
Have you ever tried any therapy?
CBT can be good.
Hope you can overcome this very soon.
Hugs
Yes I have been on therapy for many years now but by the time I started it was already out of hand. So it makes me feel like it is a bit too late. I can think of traumatic experiences from which this whole situation stems but knowing them only makes me gain self-awareness. It is tough. Thank you though!

W

walkr7

I have shaky hands as well. I too have self medicated with alcohol in the past. I did try medication but nothing helped. Along with shaky hands my palms also start to sweat, it has been and still is a struggle whenever I have to step out and perform basic tasks like paying cash at the counter or handing over papers or lighter stuff as I am always concerned that I'll either soil the objects or drop them down. I did however find that sometimes when I deliberately take just a few seconds before handing down things or performing a task in front of others and remind myself its ok to take a few moments, the shaking is a bit less, but the sweaty palms is something that is still an issue, it is not hyperhidrosis as I don't sweat or shake when I have alcohol.
I hope that the situation gets better for the both of us.

arodi007

arodi007

am 25 too and have shaky hands, back when i was in college, i struggle to do chemistry lab because of my shaky hands. social anxiety only kick in when i started to work but it now my nose and voice who are shaky.
Am now self-employed and social anxiety slowly vanished away and never again experience shaky nose or voice but i guess i get used to shaky hands and it no more that burden to me.

A

Adeliz eva

I am 25 and social anxiety has been present since my early years. The thing is the shaking in my hands whenever I have a social interaction is coming to a frustrating point. I have been dealing with this for 8 years now and it is not getting any better. The only thing that efficiently reduces it is drinking alcohol, which is a solution I do not find the healthiest, to say the least. I avoid many daily tasks in fear of feeling triggered by the slightest thing and ending up embarrassing myself. I do not want to turn to alcohol, but medication never worked in this regard. Anyone struggling too or having dealt with it in the past?
Unfortunately, you may have essential tremors. They happen more often in situations of high emotionality and subseed when alcohol is consumed. Fortunately there are medications that can help. For example, I take propranolol.

L

lifecangetbetter

Taking a break
ask your doctor for benztropine. it helps with the tremors

W

Wreckless

I had this a while back. I also had a shake in the back of my neck which made me not want to make any human interaction whatsoever. It seemed to go away after time but was still with me for a good 3 years as my anxiety got a bit better. Don't get me wrong I still have really bad anxiety but it's much better then it was.

BlackChalice47

BlackChalice47

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeeeah, can't even remember the last time this wasn't bad for me.