• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Severity, frequency, and duration of psychotic episodes on and off medication?

A

Anomalocaris

Severity, frequency, and duration of psychotic episodes on and off medication?

I've been having some difficulties lately. I started treatment in August and had to go through I think three different medications before I found one, Geodon, that worked for me. I thought it had gotten rid of the psychotic symptoms entirely but a couple of months ago I had an episode that lasted a few hours. Happened again last week and it lasted for a couple of days. I asked about it on a support forum and got mixed responses. Some people said it was normal to experience the occasional psychotic episode while on medication, some people said I need to adjust my medication. I'm obviously going to bring this up with my pdoc the next time I get the chance but I wanted to get some more opinions in the meantime, especially because it's different for everyone.

How often did you have psychotic episodes before being treated? How bad did they get and how long did they last? What about after 'successful' treatment?

Kerome

Kerome

Hmm, I had a single episode that lasted three months. And later some much shorter experiences that lasted a few days.

B

ballerina123

before treatment my psychotic episodes would last months now Im on zyprexa at a high does it last only a few days. although I still do hear some voices on meds.
meds are not there to get rid of your psychosis its just there to help you see more clearly.
some people become symptoms free on med but most still have a few psychotic symptoms as far as I know

Mark_01

Mark_01

A year and a half or so when I joined this forum, I was on medications and had one of my worse mental breakdowns of my life. They changed my medications, and made a few adjustments. Since then, I've been doing fairly well, still have my moments, but not as bad. So, I think it is normal to have psychotic breaks even while on medications. Getting the right combination that works for you takes time.