• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

severe phobia of needles veins and blood

F

fulloffear

I have asevere phoboa of veins needles and blood i refuse injections and faint at thesightof anyof these things or even just discussing them i have triedcbttotry and confront this but it has nothelpedi just faint and then terrified of fainting again they make me feel repulsed and disgusting does anyone else have this please private mail me.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to the forum.

That phobia is actually very common in my opinion. I'm sure you will find someone else here to talk to.

I personally don't suffer from this phobia. (Mine are fireworks and thunder)

Marliee x

F

fulloffear

Welcome to the forum.

That phobia is actually very common in my opinion. I'm sure you will find someone else here to talk to.

I personally don't suffer from this phobia. (Mine are fireworks and thunder)

Marliee x
thank you for your reply i really hope there is people who can identify with me on this as its really affecting my life. im sorry for your phobia as i know how severe and horrible they are i am sure many people also have your phobia.

M

MichelleDerek

I have this exact same phobia. I, too, have passed out during a blood draw. I would avoid them at all costs, even when my health depended on it. I would instantly go into a panic just smelling the rubbing alcohol. If I knew I had a blood test coming up, I would worry about it for weeks. Sometimes, I would arrive for my appointment and leave unable to go through with the blood draw or medical procedure.

I am now overcoming that fear and have made a lot of progress. I never thought I would make progress, but I did. Let me share some insights with you.

First, you have to identify what you are really afraid of. I asked myself this question: Is the poke of the needle really THAT bad that I need to be this scared? I probably hurt myself more walking around my house on a daily basis and doing clumsy things like stubbing my toe, or running into a cabinet door! The poke of the needle is kind of uncomfortable, but really, it is nowhere near as bad as our fear makes us think it is. You have to listen to and obey your logical brain. A phobia is an illogical fear reaction to something that really is not worth the fear we feel towards it.
Is the needle poke really so bad that it warrants passing out and an anxiety attack? In reality, it does not. It hurts a little, but not a lot. But your brain makes you think you're going to get a limb sliced off.

Exposure to your fear only works when you confront it and don't put up a fight. For example, if you go get a blood draw and you spend three hours arguing with the nurses before getting the blood test, then that does not count as positive exposure. It adds to your fear for the next time.

But if you go in, tell them you are afraid, but just let them do their job (and maybe ask someone to hold your hand), then you will be scared but it will be over in a second and you are then training your brain to not over react the next time.

The best thing to do is stop over analyzing it and just let them inject you. Don't spend time arguing with the nurses. I know this is not easy and I really sympathize with you. But the more times you "just do it", the more your brain will finally get the message that the thing you are afraid of does not really exist.

The more times you do it, the better it gets. I promise. But the more you obey your fear, the harder it gets.

**hugs**

Last edited:
F

fulloffear

|Thank you so much foryour messageit is reasuring to hear someone else has this to the extent that i do and that it canget better. when i see a needle or vein or blood i feel disgusted and violently sick.i toohaverefused many needles due to this fear. i once went to have blood drawn and took 2 vallium before i went to relax me but it never helped 1 bit i still fainted its like the fearover rides everything. i tried exposure last week just looking at photos andonce again fainted i really wantto overcome this phobia asi know it can be a dangerous1 but itsnotthepain that bothers me i feel violentlyill at the sightof veins needlesand blood. any tips would be much appreciated and im really happy u are over coming this x

M

MichelleDerek

I am so sorry. Yes, I was the same way. Even when I took lots of Xanax, I would still panic. My fear would overpower it.

I also cannot watch videos of needles and blood. It makes me very sick, even if I just look for a second.

I usually take someone with me to hold my hand and distract me. Remember to obey your logical brain. I always tell myself that just because I feel the fear does not mean I have to obey it. I actually do not recommend watching videos as a way to confront your fear, because it also makes you ruminate on it.

Another very good trick I have used it lidocaine cream! It is a topical numbing cream that you can put on your arm before the injection. It does not completely numb the area, but does so enough to make the poke not so scary.

Repeat to yourself that the needle poke is not as scary as your brain is telling you that it is... and then just grab someone's hand and let the nurse do their thing. The more you do this, the better it gets.

I know it is hard. I actually have to go get a blood test either today or tomorrow. I always feel a little fearful, but nowhere like I did before.

F

fulloffear

did youget helpin getting over this and howlong did it take.Good luckwith the bloodtest tomoz x

M

MichelleDerek

I do get therapy for this and that also helps a lot because you can talk through the fear with someone else.

For about 3 years, I confronted my fear but did not make a lot of progress because I was confronting it wrong. I even had a surgery and 3 MRI's with IVs! I still was just as scared and doctors hated dealing with me. I even had a few doctors refuse me as their patient.

But, once I got in therapy and started confronting it the right way, I began to make progress literally within a few months. I made so much progress! The problem is, we want a way to overcome our fear without facing it, because facing it feels terrifying. But the truth is that the only way to get through it is by literally just going through it.

When you go in for the blood test, force yourself to not fight the nurses. Definitely still take a Valium or Xanax. Let the nurses know you are afraid. And then, just let them do it. And if you just force yourself to not argue with them and just go through with it, you will be amazed how much progress you will make!

But, if you arrive there and keep telling the nurses "No, stop, I am not ready", even if you do end up getting the blood test, you will not make any progress in your fear.

Do you have medical tests coming up?

F

fulloffear

That is good u have done so well as i faint the nurse decides to make it another time i have no appointments coming up aa i try to avoid it did ur therapiat help u with this.

T

tammiaus

I cannot handle any kind of needles under my skin it makes me crazy I really go into full on panic mode like someone is trying to kill me. I have tried to relax and just go with it then my heart starts pounding out so hard, I start having trouble breathing , I shake and go all white, I vomit and then eventually I feel like I am going to faint but then the whole process just starts again awful times for me these needles. I go to somewhere that can gas me out now if I have to have any it is the only way I can cope but there has got to be a better solution.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Phobia Forum 6
G Phobia Forum 11
S Phobia Forum 3
LORD BURT Phobia Forum 11
J Phobia Forum 2