• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Severe depression and self hatred

J

JaneDonald

I'm really struggling these days with my depression. I have seen a therapist for many years and I don't think thats the problem. She helps in a lot of ways but sometimes my family makes it hard to stick with what I've learned or tools I've gained in therapy. I have always hated my body and felt like I'm ugly. I have a lot of health problems where I struggle to find food I can eat and food that doesn't make me sick. I have a lot of trauma with my health problems and food-- as a kid I was dieting often for my health and it caused me to feel deprived and scared of food at the same time. I always thought that as I got older my health allergies and issues would get better. They have just gotten worse and coming to terms with that has been really hard. I struggle with body image issues like many women do but deep down I've always known that I'm fortunately not obese or extremely unhealthy in that way. With corona and being indoors because of my severe seasonal allergies I've had little exercise and it's increased my depression. My mother and I fought all last night because she essentially called me fat and said that this is the most weight I've ever gained (which I found hard to believe and was shocked to hear). I'm extremely distraught because even though I've always felt like I'm fat and unattractive, it's different when you hear your own mother and sibling say it. I've just hit a really low point in my life. Do any of you have an advice as to how to cope with this or any kind of words of reassurance? Thank you

Blooming

Blooming

So sorry to hear that you have to cope with this. :hug1: Family-members can sometimes be one's worst enemies. I am sure that your therapist has given you a lot of advice, so perhaps your problem is that you feel so sad and frustrated that you don't remember them at times when you need them. I feel sad myself today. I was mocked as a child because I was new in class when I moved with my family. Yesterday a neighbor didn't greet me and I got that terrible feeling again of being an outsider and woke up with the same feeling this morning.

I was just sitting here and playing card with myself in the hope of letting the "being an outsider feeling" to go away when decided to look into these forums. (For me laying cabal or similar works to shift focus).

So with this experience as a background I want to say the following to you: When your family behave so destructive like that, retreat to your room and let your feelings be there for a while. Nobody shall deny your experience! May be you can have a box with advices to yourself, that you can use after a while. Physical activity may help, not to make you thinner, but because fresh air (in front of an open window if you cannot go out because of corona) and the exercises will bring more oxygen to your brain and help you to be able to say to yourself: "They are not worth it".

Remember nobody is allowed to say mean things to you, not your family nor strangers. 🌹❤

K

karl7

im sorry to hear youre having such a tough time lately jane.....i hope thing s will improve for you soon

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S besides self talk what actually reduced your severe depression or anxiety? Depression Forum 17
D Why do I seemingly not want to get better? Loneliness, failing university, depression, severe anxiety, and not doing anything about it Depression Forum 7
MarieRose Severe depression and isolation due to 3rd lockdown. Depression Forum 2
W Advice needed for a relationship with someone suffering with severe depression Depression Forum 6
C How to live with mayor/severe/clinical depression without losing hope :( Depression Forum 29
J im so confused whats the answer for severe depression?? Depression Forum 8
Desire less Why it's so hard to get out of long-term depression!!! Depression Forum 4
Z Depression is destroying my life Depression Forum 10
MeAndMyDepression What ONE symptom of depression bothers you the most? Depression Forum 12
H How do I support someone with depression? Depression Forum 7
L Managing depression Depression Forum 13
E Does depression make you say things you don’t mean to the people closest to you? Depression Forum 6
J Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy to treat treatment resistant depression Depression Forum 2
A Depression from the last year ruined my marriage. Depression Forum 5
T Is this the depression talking or am I onto something? Depression Forum 4
W No job, no joy, nothing. Depression is killing me. Depression Forum 15
L Depression from grief and blame. Depression Forum 4
T Depression from Sleep Disorders/Difficulties Depression Forum 3
M Tired of fighting depression. Depression Forum 5
L Male postpartum depression Depression Forum 1
M Depression due loneliness, anyone else ? Depression Forum 9
U Rapidly developing depression symptoms Depression Forum 2
M Discussing my depression with SO Depression Forum 5
starfoxxy90 Greif and Loss with depression.. Depression Forum 2
S Help! My partners depression effect our family Depression Forum 6
MeAndMyDepression Cognitive distortions and depression Depression Forum 1
P Numb Emotions and Not Feeling Love Because of Depression Depression Forum 4
MeAndMyDepression Who has concentration/memory problems because of depression? Depression Forum 5
MeAndMyDepression Do you know people who are jealous of your depression? Depression Forum 3
anex Depression and other mental health woes Depression Forum 3
J Depression or quiet BPD? Depression Forum 2
MeAndMyDepression Depression Jokes Depression Forum 2
MeAndMyDepression Does anyone else suffer from bipolar depression? Depression Forum 9
JackieBlue Overwhelmed with depression and grief! Depression Forum 11
T Depression and Anxiety - possibly triggered by medication Depression Forum 1
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
L Relationship Causing Depression Depression Forum 2
M Sharing my Experience of Major Depression Depression Forum 1
J SPRAVATO for Treatment Resistance Depression Has anyone used Spravato? Depression Forum 3
D Hi I'm new here and have suffered depression since early 90's Depression Forum 6
T Advice for you on loniless and depression Depression Forum 5
S obsession with depression Depression Forum 2
T Depression and studies Depression Forum 5
H Husband has depression Depression Forum 3
IcyShadow Poem about Depression Depression Forum 2
A Sexually based depression Depression Forum 9
A Suffering from a depression whose reason I don't realise. Depression Forum 13
P Cheating Spouse and Depression Depression Forum 6
Hardknocks88 New normal depression Depression Forum 1
M Depression and Narcissm Depression Forum 2