• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Severe depression and anxiety - what do you do for work?

L

Livebythesea

I worked for most of my life, very hard, in various office environments. Since my first bout of depression and anxiety my work and financial life has suffered SO much. For various reasons I haven't worked in a year...I desperately want to go back to work but am concerned about the anxiety I will have going on interviews and actually being able to perform at a job plus then having my child in after school programs, camp in the summer etc.

Is anyone with severe depression and anxiety still working? What do you do for work if you don't mind sharing?

Many thanks

S

Sammy7990

Hi, I still go to work, I work in a very busy bank. I mainly do the business banking and quite often the bureau de change. For me, having a focus, a routine, helps me a lot. I’m too busy at work to concentrate on anything other than what’s in front of me. I’ve just come out of a relationship, he split up with me totally out of the blue, which triggered major anxiety in me. Even though I didn’t want to, I still went in to work. It wasn’t easy, still isn’t, but it does help my anxiety having something else to focus on. It gives me a reason to get up, shower, get ready, leave the house. I also volunteer every Sunday at a dog rescue centre. I have to keep myself busy or I would literally go crazy. X

L

Livebythesea

Hi, I still go to work, I work in a very busy bank. I mainly do the business banking and quite often the bureau de change. For me, having a focus, a routine, helps me a lot. I’m too busy at work to concentrate on anything other than what’s in front of me. I’ve just come out of a relationship, he split up with me totally out of the blue, which triggered major anxiety in me. Even though I didn’t want to, I still went in to work. It wasn’t easy, still isn’t, but it does help my anxiety having something else to focus on. It gives me a reason to get up, shower, get ready, leave the house. I also volunteer every Sunday at a dog rescue centre. I have to keep myself busy or I would literally go crazy. X
Thank you so much for your reply above. You're so lucky you were able to make it through to keep going to work...my issue is sleep mostly - because if I get anxious I cannot sleep, and will be up ALL night and then I cannot focus and make mistakes etc.

Thank you again. Gives me hope. And I bet those dogs really appreciate your volunteer work 😊

S

Sammy7990

I think the dogs help me more than I could ever help them. X

S

Sammy7990

They are - they brighten my week and are so grateful to be going out for a walk and to have some human attention. X

J

JCPraha

I have bouts of severe depression and anxiety myself. I still work, but it is difficult, and I am not as productive as I was in the past, so I would expect my job to end at some point. Some people are able to work through it, but it can really be difficult to cope with if your mental state is so bad. People at work care nothing about my MH problems, so the stress can really be hard for me. MH problems impact every aspect of life to a great degree. Relationships, work, and physical health are all impacted to a large extent. For me, the MH issues really control my life. It is a struggle to make it through each day on most days.

Everyone's MH problems are unique, but for me it makes it difficult to function. I am sure I am not the only one.

L

Livebythesea

I have bouts of severe depression and anxiety myself. I still work, but it is difficult, and I am not as productive as I was in the past, so I would expect my job to end at some point. Some people are able to work through it, but it can really be difficult to cope with if your mental state is so bad. People at work care nothing about my MH problems, so the stress can really be hard for me. MH problems impact every aspect of life to a great degree. Relationships, work, and physical health are all impacted to a large extent. For me, the MH issues really control my life. It is a struggle to make it through each day on most days.

Everyone's MH problems are unique, but for me it makes it difficult to function. I am sure I am not the only one.
I could have written your post exactly...only you're doing better than I am since you're still working. Many hugs and thank you for responding.

P

PaleRider13

I have these issues too, also working in an office environment. Luckily my bosses and colleagues are very progressive and understand my mental health problems. I'm currently doing a sort of collaborative program with them to achieve a better work life balance. I used to do 8 hours every day. for now I just do 5. As long as both you and your employer are ready and willing to give it all you've got, then in today's day and age there *should* be no problems.

Last time I checked they got Tribunals and Courts for this kind of stuff now. Employers can no longer afford to turn a blind eye to mental health, and even if they do simply do it by the book with no care for yourself, it's still the first step towards getting yourself integrated back into the workplace. (If that's what you want).

L

Livebythesea

Thank you for your response. I am in I US and not familiar with your mental health issues aren't handled in the workplace as much as I should. I have never shared with an employer what my issues are, just quit when things got too tough in my personal life or at work. Seems I end up not sleeping, worrying and then cannot function at work to make decisions or things that are required from the job. So hard. Thank you - glad you're finding a compromise and not having to hide things if you might be struggling a bit.

J

JCPraha

In the U.S. no one cares. No way will they do what they did for PaleRider. No one cares, and that is the end of it. Produce the work, or go home, in the U.S. No social safety net, no help, little time off in U.S. It is a much harsher environment.