• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Severe bipolar

• Thread starter butterflykisses
  • Start date
B

butterflykisses

I accidentally saw my ESA paperwork and it said my bipolar is “severe/ chronic “. Is BP 1 always considered severe since there full mania involved?

Amazingly

Amazingly

I accidentally saw my ESA paperwork and it said my bipolar is “severe/ chronic “. Is BP 1 always considered severe since there full mania involved?
I am diagnosed with bipolar type 1 with psychotic features and for the most part, bipolar 1 is considered the more severe form of bipolar.
Usually more debilitating than bipolar 2 but there are exceptions.
It all varies when it comes to severity.
My case is severe as well as I am an ultra rapid Cycler and suffer with psychosis.

B

butterflykisses

I had psychosis too and it was a really bad episode. But since BP 1 is more severe, would it always be considered “severe/ chronic”?

K

keith74

If you experience psychosis during mania (which doesn't always happen to everyone with bp 1), then that means you can have most extreme forms of mania. That may put you under a classification of "severe". Not sure what "chronic" would indicate since bipolar is a chronic illness in general.

B

butterflykisses

If you experience psychosis during mania (which doesn't always happen to everyone with bp 1), then that means you can have most extreme forms of mania. That may put you under a classification of "severe". Not sure what "chronic" would indicate since bipolar is a chronic illness in general.
That makes sense. Ya I don’t know what chronic would mean either. Supposedly my psychiatrist said it’s the worst manic episode she’s encountered since she worked in my hometown. That’s what my dad told me which he was in contact with her the entire time.

K

keith74

Yeah only in the most acute intense manic episodes could you experience psychosis.

Amazingly

Amazingly

I had psychosis too and it was a really bad episode. But since BP 1 is more severe, would it always be considered “severe/ chronic”?
Because you’ve experienced psychosis then it would be classified as “severe”

B

butterflykisses

Because you’ve experienced psychosis then it would be classified as “severe”
Is all BP 1 people considered severe? Since it’s generally a severe diagnosis as with mania.

K

keith74

Is all BP 1 people considered severe? Since it’s generally a severe diagnosis as with mania.
Not all people with BP1 get psychosis when manic. It is the BP1+psychosis that people consider most severe form.

B

butterflykisses

Not all people with BP1 get psychosis when manic. It is the BP1+psychosis that people consider most severe form.
Okay that makes sense. I’m curious what it would look like to be manic without psychosis because I know it’s extremely common to have it with mania. I’ve been hypomanic before but with full mania; and no psychosis… I’ve always wondered how that would look. Maybe I do… I guess I was manic before psychosis started.

Amazingly

Amazingly

BP1 is usually always considered a severe illness, but like I mentioned before there are various degrees.
Some forms of BP1 are not considered as severe.
But they are in the minority.

K

keith74

Okay that makes sense. I’m curious what it would look like to be manic without psychosis because I know it’s extremely common to have it with mania. I’ve been hypomanic before but with full mania; and no psychosis… I’ve always wondered how that would look. Maybe I do… I guess I was manic before psychosis started.
The mood chart can help explain:

Typically, psychosis will kick in when you are at the absolute top of the scale ("10") at the absolute apex of your manic swing. It typically does not last for the whole manic episode, only during the peak.

My wife is BP1 and she does not experience full blown psychosis during her manic episdoes. She can get up to a "9" on that scale as she can start getting very paranoid. But not quite "10".

Wishbone

Wishbone

What's ESA over there?

Bipolar is considered a severe illness anyway regardless of a specific presentation, but as they've noted it in addition I would assume you've had some pretty bad episodes and this is why they've added it on. Chronic is a weird addition because you're always going to have it so there's no real need to have added that.

B

butterflykisses

What's ESA over there?

Bipolar is considered a severe illness anyway regardless of a specific presentation, but as they've noted it in addition I would assume you've had some pretty bad episodes and this is why they've added it on. Chronic is a weird addition because you're always going to have it so there's no real need to have added that.
Ya maybe “chronic” is added in case other people don’t know. I only had one manic episode and it was pretty bad. Very psychotic and it lasted three weeks even with being in the hospital for ten of those days.

G

Gratefultobewell

I recently am able to see my chart on my computer, all the notes from my visit with my therapist and my psychiatrist. It’s kind of weird. Anyway, my therapist has me down as schizoaffective disorder and my psychiatrist has me down as bipolar depressive type. I agree with my Dr’s diagnosis. I will probably talk with my therapist about this, but I don’t think it really matters.