• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Severe anxiety, or alcohol withdrawals?

MiracleMan83

MiracleMan83

I can't tell if I have severe anxiety caused by stress, or alcohol withdrawals!

It all started because I have been battling insomnia on and off for the last month and a half. Every once in a while, I would try to be moderate and have just a few sips of whiskey to see if it would help calm me down on a sleepless night. I didn't want to have too much as I am prescribed 0.5 mg of xanax for my anxiety. I bought a bottle of vodka and started having shots the night of May 9th, then it progressed to glasses because my dad's health started deteriorating and I was worried about him having cancer. I went overboard and got blacked out drunk on the fourth and final night of drinking which was May 12th. That was totally stupid of me since I am prescribed to take xanax every day. My dad did get hospitalized on May 14th for his health, but it turns out it was not cancer. Like I said, my last drink was last Tuesday night. Starting two nights ago, my insomnia got more severe, had night sweats one night, and it seems that my hands intermittently want to shake. I have been stressed about my dad being hospitalized, stressed about possibly having symptoms of alcoholism, and I am also stressed because I have been furloughed from work for about a month and a half due to COVID-19 and the thought of going back to work after a long absence is scaring me. I can't tell what I am experiencing!

P.S. I have had binge drinking problems in the past, and the last time I did binge drinking was a year ago.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

I am so sorry you are struggling with this. I have addictions too. I know how horrible it is. I hope you and I over come them before they take our lives. Sorry for a late response. How are you and your dad now? Stay safe please. :hug::hug::hug:

MiracleMan83

MiracleMan83

Unfortunately, my dad got diagnosed with leukemia. There was one final test that diagnosed it in his bone marrow. I saw my doctor through a virtual appointment, and he thinks I was suffering severe anxiety symptoms. All I know, is that I will never binge drink again. The smell of alcohol in my hand sanitizer makes sick to my stomach now. I need to be sober to help my dad get through this.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

Unfortunately, my dad got diagnosed with leukemia. There was one final test that diagnosed it in his bone marrow. I saw my doctor through a virtual appointment, and he thinks I was suffering severe anxiety symptoms. All I know, is that I will never binge drink again. The smell of alcohol in my hand sanitizer makes sick to my stomach now. I need to be sober to help my dad get through this.
Aww. That is so kind of you. Sorry about your father. :sorry: :hug: