Severe Anxiety about someone drugging my food?

C

crazythoughtsaddy

Hello everyone, I am an 18 year old girl living in Texas. I have had an anxiety disorder since the age of 10. My parents were severe drug/alcohol addicts when I was growing up, which left me when PTSD and a generalized anxiety disorder when I later moved in with my grandparents. I have never tried recreational drugs besides alcohol.
Anyway! Enough back story. I'm here to seek help or knowledge from anyone know understands/knows what i'm going through. What i'm going to talk about has developed in the past couple of months, that I can recall.

I have a very bad fear of someone drugging/poisoning my food. :low:

I will not eat any delivered food without the immediate fear that someone has drugged it or poisoned it. I know this is very irrational, because why would someone waste perfectly good drugs on someone they don't even know?! LOL. I believe this fear may have stemmed from me being date raped before, where someone put drugs in my drink, back in 2016. I can be perfectly fine eating food that i prepared, or that is prepackaged, but something that anyone else has prepared (food or drink) I get so scared that there are drugs in it. After eating it I just wait to start feeling weird or tripping out like i did when I was actually drugged. I get relief when I realize it is just in my head.

Any tips on how to get over this terrible feeling, or if this is even normal for some people? This happens every day and I wish that I didnt have this fear.
HELP! :panic:

T

Twokiwisandabanana

Maybe a trip to see your GP
They might know of something that can help.

G

Georgelee

I feel like this all the time!! Mine is especially bad when I’m not paying attention to my food when I’m out, or if I leave it in my car for a second or something silly. Even if I leave a bottle of water sitting around the house, instantly I think it may have poison in it.

You have a very good reason to feel the way you do. You have a frame of reference! I do not have any reason whatsoever, just paranoia! I just think it’s about pushing through it, try to tell yourself the best you can that there’s no way someone would poison/drug your food in those situations. It’s tough, but hopefully someday it will pass entirely! I find it helps when there are other people around, I don’t seem to think about it as much!

I

I escaped

I know this sounds silly but, what you think is not who you are. Who you are is what you experience in the present. Embrace the present moment and use will power to focus on the surroundings. Understand that you control your mind, your body doesn't control your mind.

antimatterTek

antimatterTek

I had a really bad trip when I was younger. It still haunts me to this day. I do not do drugs anymore and even stopped drinking recently.

The part that haunts me is that I don't know what was real and what was the drugs.

C

crazythoughtsaddy

thank you for the reply, made me feel better there is at least someone out there that has this same problem. makes me feel a little less crazy (y)