• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Several reasons maybe for hearing voices

T

Tunca

I have been hearing voices constantly for the last one year, but was hearing them since 2009 but did not care much about them as I was very busy with my life and work. Now that I work one day a week and the rest of the time stay at home and work on my art, I think the voices got more control over me. Actually working on my art is good for me but as art is something individually done, the isolation brings the voices back.
I think what started my voices was: family issues, depression, heavy work load and stress, feeling lonely in a huge city and isolating more and more each day, having the feeling that you have tons of people around and you still are alone. So I started to have a world of my own, which was quiet, less stressful, less demanding and had more peace. But until last year I was dealing with all my problems, at least trying my best, but one day got sunk and my voices started taking over. My nightmare began, doctors, psychiatrists, spiritual healers etc. All were saying different things, but they were trying their best to help. One of the psychiatrists said everything will be ok if I sleep 18 hours per day for about 3 weeks, put me on medication (Seraquel 300mg) which made me worse. One of the neuro-psychiatric center has diagnosed my situation as epilepsy, and started giving me high doze drugs, thanks to another doctor who saved me, proved that I did not have epilepsy. And of course was diagnosed by another doctor as schizofrenia. Maybe one of the most important thing in this process was my psychologist, it was so obvious that I needed some talking, but she stepped back and said sorry, saying this is a psychiatric issue, she can not help. They could not help either, she was not aware of that.
I still have the voices, hear them a lot especially in the morning, hope all these will end one day, it is very difficult.

T

Tunca

And all the things I was told during the last one year by several people (doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, spiritual healers):
- ıt is the voice of your subconscious (spiritual healer, leader)
- It is the reaction of your own being to your unhappy life (neourologist)
- Spiritual attack by someone else (another spiritual healer)
- Spiritual attack by a demon (and another spiritual healer)
- Some chemicals missing in the brain (psychiatrist)
- Problem with energy flow in the brain, epilepsy (another psychiatrist)

Noone can really cure this, you are the only person who will help yourself. Even family members give up helping you, they can not bear a problem like this, but you have to be the strongest, trying to stay alive, trying to find the right answers and be careful not to make family sad. They had warned me not to make anybody unhappy, now I struggle alone. The root of the problem becomes very obvious now...

T

Tunca

Forgot the important one, 'that your mind is playing a game' to fill itself with something, mind has to be occupied with some information, can never be empty. Even during meditation you learn to control and silence your thought, instead of emptying your mind totally. It's been said that the universe has always something, there is no actual emptiness. This explanation is the most reasonable one according to me.

shaky

shaky

Forgot the important one, 'that your mind is playing a game' to fill itself with something, mind has to be occupied with some information, can never be empty. Even during meditation you learn to control and silence your thought, instead of emptying your mind totally. It's been said that the universe has always something, there is no actual emptiness. This explanation is the most reasonable one according to me.
One of the creation myths from Hinduism goes that Brahma was all alone, he was bored, so he created the Universe to play.
Maybe the voices are constructs like that - something to keep the mind interested, someone to play with.

T

Tunca

Whenever I am focused on something I am really interested I do not hear voices. Especially when I read. So the mind is wandering around sometimes, you even hear conversations that have not yet happened. This is really strange. I sometimes hear something very strange like 'I dropped it!' I try to understand but can't, after a couple of hours makes sense as I drop something. I hear voices especially before going to sleep and waking up. My mind half dreaming half awake, hear lots of things. This is why I guess they say, the mind, body and soul should stay connected, in this moment. Mind is something that can go to past and future. So better to keep it in the present with lots of worldly stuff that you'd enjoy, that would take control of your wandering mind.