• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sertraline

D

Dorf

Thanks for your reply. I've taken Sertraline on and off for years and every time it caused huge weight gain so I'd try other meds and none helped Some say the weight gain is due to your appetite increasing but that's not the case for me. I exercise every day and watch my calorie intake and eat healthy foods but still the weight increased. I believe it can alter your metabolism and that seems to be the problem for me

P

Prudalmeaz

Yeah I don't expect to feel the benefits of it already, just wondered if it was possible for it to cause these negative symptoms so quickly or if its something else
I used it for 5 days and had to quit it because it made me even more anxious. It seems to work really well for my fiance however but it initially took a few weeks to truly sink in for her to handle it thoroughly. Best of luck to you.

R

Rach05

Heyyy,

It was really nice reading this as i had exact same experience 5 years ago.

At first sertraline made everything so much worse but then abiut 4 weeks in it was as though i woke up one morning and felt like me again.

The last 2 weeks i tested positive for covid and my panic attacks and anxiety went through thr roof and felt like i was back to sqaure one.

The last 2 nights i have increased my medication and i was so scared to becauae how i was whrn i started them. However 2 days in and more calm mentally but phsically still having symptons which again i will hope fade.

The main sympton is feeling like i cant get my breathe out because my diaphram is so tight from my recent panic attacks.

I searched on google and found breathing techniques qhich have really helped as its acary when you feel cant breathe. These relax the diaphram.

Sertraline like youve said has really helped me

X

Hello how r u feeling now?
Did you get over the covid too? Its terrible.
I got the vaccine a few weeks ago and then my anxiety got worse cuz started reading of course scar

R

Rach05

I got the vaccine a few weeks ago and then my anxiety got worse cuz started reading of course scar
Scary stories. I get the same as you were i feel I cant take a proper breathe in.

L

Lu91

Heyy,
Covid wise im absolutely fine thankfully. My boyfriend has the odd day where doesnt feel great with his breathing but getting there.
Honestly cant wait to have the vaccine not only will it give peace of mind but just having normality back. Forgot what thats like... just popping to the parents for a cuppa inatead of dropping shopping into their garage. Just feels like a really bad nightmare.
There is light at the end of the tunnel 🤞.
I literally dont watch news or read about it anymore it doesnt help with mental health ad its always negative.
How you doing? X

A

Annamaria

So this is not about me its about my friend she's been having those obsessive thought about things she regrets or thinks that she's afraid will happen and i always tell her that nothing bad will happen and she also knows that but she says that it's kinda like an obsession cause she knows nothing will happen but she can't stop thinking about it . So i told her that every time those thoughts come to mind she should try doing something different like talk to her siblings and not think about it cause if she stops paying so much attention at it, it will probably fade away a bit . But the thing is she doesn't try to stop it I can't blame her cause I don't know what its like but i ve been worried cause she's been crying over it and she always talks to me about it but i don't think that that's enough and i don't know how else to help her.

R

Rach05

Heyy,
Covid wise im absolutely fine thankfully. My boyfriend has the odd day where doesnt feel great with his breathing but getting there.
Honestly cant wait to have the vaccine not only will it give peace of mind but just having normality back. Forgot what thats like... just popping to the parents for a cuppa inatead of dropping shopping into their garage. Just feels like a really bad nightmare.
There is light at the end of the tunnel 🤞.
I literally dont watch news or read about it anymore it doesnt help with mental health ad its always negative.
How you doing? X
Awww really hope you and your bf feeling alot better soon. It is horrible. Definitely I'm just looking forward to the clear nights and better weather and hopefully some sorta normality at least lol I'm doing good thanks just some days have this random shortness of breathe without even realising I'm anxious... I have this calm app its really good. Helps. Xx

L

Lu91

Awww really hope you and your bf feeling alot better soon. It is horrible. Definitely I'm just looking forward to the clear nights and better weather and hopefully some sorta normality at least lol I'm doing good thanks just some days have this random shortness of breathe without even realising I'm anxious... I have this calm app its really good. Helps. Xx
Aww thankyou 🙂.
I get those feelings and its horrible. My mind can be calm but then my body has the anxiety symptons. Thats good to hear, ill give that app a go ill try anything 😊.
Ive bought flowers for the house always brightens things up.

I read an article that people who struggle wiyh mental health fall into the vunerable catergory to get a vaccine i reaply.hope its true as it will help so many people.

X

anex

anex

I’m glad the side effects aren’t as severe now! I had a really similar thing happen. It started the first day I took sertraline. Increased anxiety/depression, nausea, reduced appetite, insomnia, and sweaty palms and feet lol it was pretty bad. 50mg was too much for me to start out with, so I decreased it to 25mg a day for about a week. I just bumped it back up to 50 on Monday and so far so good! Good luck to you, I hope it helps you and I hope you can sleep well soon:)

R

RockinRoddy

Hi everyone, I've just been prescribed Sertraline 50mg and have so far only taken it yesterday and today. I am aware there can be side effects especially in the first few weeks. However I have been feeling awful all day today. I suffer from chronic anxiety symptoms anyways (constant dizziness/spaced out feeling, headaches) but today it's in overdrive. A few moments today I've felt like I'm on another planet and as if things aren't quite real.
I'm just wondering if it's possible for the medication to cause these effects already after only 2 days? Or maybe it's all in my head and I've brought it on myself by reading the side effects and expecting them?
If anyone has any experiences I'd be interested to hear them