• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sertraline

Argon

Argon

I took Prozac for a month and finally just quit cold turkey. Awful stuff. Tinnitus, brain fog and finally itching all over. SSRIs are pure snake oil quackery.

L

LiamT

hi, im new. but i have recently been put back on sertraline after stopping taking them last year.
they do take a few weeks to get into your system. i am 2.5 weeks into my course and i cant feel any difference yet.
the first time i went on them i had terrible nightmares and was sweating like a pig all the time for a week or 2.
having something to help you sleep does help. a crappy night's sleep always makes you feel worse.

C

chow29

Hi everyone, I've just been prescribed Sertraline 50mg and have so far only taken it yesterday and today. I am aware there can be side effects especially in the first few weeks. However I have been feeling awful all day today. I suffer from chronic anxiety symptoms anyways (constant dizziness/spaced out feeling, headaches) but today it's in overdrive. A few moments today I've felt like I'm on another planet and as if things aren't quite real.
I'm just wondering if it's possible for the medication to cause these effects already after only 2 days? Or maybe it's all in my head and I've brought it on myself by reading the side effects and expecting them?
If anyone has any experiences I'd be interested to hear them
I’m nearly two weeks into taking sertraline. The first weeks side effects were horrific. Complete loss of appetite, feeling sick, shaking and body tremors. I didn’t think I’d be able to last on them!
everybody said just hang on and to give it another week, so I did. Luckily all of those physical symptoms have pretty much stopped. However my anxiety does feel worse - it’s somehow different to the anxiety that I’m used to feeling which is making me feel worse.
That being said, I’ve had a few moments relief over the past couple of days where I’ve felt like I could actually be ok. I’m really hoping that the good days start to out number the bad!

hope things get better for you to soon x

C

Cyclist

I took it for 2 days then gave up. Tried another SSRI with similar results. Then tried Mirtazapine and I'm getting on well with it, feel less bleak but it doesn't prevent the anxiety from overthinking stuff. The only side effect is a slightly dry mouth.

R

Rach05

Glad to hear it's working for you! I've actually been not too bad the past 2 days so hopefully thats the worst of it although the insomnia is driving me nuts!
I had a bad time after my first baby 7 years also and didn't do much about it so not surprised it's happened again this time around but unfortunately 10 times worse!
Have you found you have any lasting side effects on it?

No lasting side effects at all. How r you getting on now. I feel anxious today about covid

47char63

Thanks for the replies everyone! 2 and a half weeks now and can feel a difference already. A few side effects still but hopefully they'll pass soon!

47char63

No lasting side effects at all. How r you getting on now. I feel anxious today about covid
That's good to hear, hoping mine pass too. I've been doing quite well actually, seems as though the dark cloud seems to be lifting! But yes the covid situation causes some anxieties for me too sometimes. I think it's just got to the point now where it feels like it's never going to end

Jam1990

Jam1990

I was recently on an SSRI for about 3 weeks and I started having super powerful suicidal thoughts. I got so depressed that I still am dealing with a horrible depressive episode 3 weeks later after stopping it. I doubt I’ll ever try an SSRI again which is disappointing because some people really respond so well to them. I was really hoping it would work for me, but I’ll just stick to the antipsychotics for now. They seem to have less side effects for me.

R

RockinRoddy

I am taking 100 mg but my doctor tells me for OCD you need to be on 200 mg. I know i feel depressed and don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I thought of switching to Celexa but the doctor says Zoloft is a good drug for OCD.

R

Rach05

I am taking 100 mg but my doctor tells me for OCD you need to be on 200 mg. I know i feel depressed and don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I thought of switching to Celexa but the doctor says Zoloft is a good drug for OCD.

Hello there, how long have you been on the zoloft now. I'm on 100mg for anxiety and panic attacks. Now for nearly a year. The last time 6 months seemed to do it but I've decided to stay on it this time because of all this covid too and I know I'd be all anxious if I come off it. This first 6 days of starting it or increasing the dose I found are the worst. It made me feel worse before better. But I actually took 2 weeks off work and all I wanted to do was sleep, lost my appetite and was having panic attacks. But after 2 weeks I started to feel like me again. Head more clear and no panic attacks. I really do think it is a good drug. I've not tried any of the others so can't compare. But it has helped me. Hope this helps you. I know for ocd the dose is maybe 200. But build it up. 100 150 then 200 and just know that you could feel worse for a week before it all levels out.

L

Lu91

Hello there, how long have you been on the zoloft now. I'm on 100mg for anxiety and panic attacks. Now for nearly a year. The last time 6 months seemed to do it but I've decided to stay on it this time because of all this covid too and I know I'd be all anxious if I come off it. This first 6 days of starting it or increasing the dose I found are the worst. It made me feel worse before better. But I actually took 2 weeks off work and all I wanted to do was sleep, lost my appetite and was having panic attacks. But after 2 weeks I started to feel like me again. Head more clear and no panic attacks. I really do think it is a good drug. I've not tried any of the others so can't compare. But it has helped me. Hope this helps you. I know for ocd the dose is maybe 200. But build it up. 100 150 then 200 and just know that you could feel worse for a week before it all levels out.
Heyyy,

It was really nice reading this as i had exact same experience 5 years ago.

At first sertraline made everything so much worse but then abiut 4 weeks in it was as though i woke up one morning and felt like me again.

The last 2 weeks i tested positive for covid and my panic attacks and anxiety went through thr roof and felt like i was back to sqaure one.

The last 2 nights i have increased my medication and i was so scared to becauae how i was whrn i started them. However 2 days in and more calm mentally but phsically still having symptons which again i will hope fade.

The main sympton is feeling like i cant get my breathe out because my diaphram is so tight from my recent panic attacks.

I searched on google and found breathing techniques qhich have really helped as its acary when you feel cant breathe. These relax the diaphram.

Sertraline like youve said has really helped me

X

D

Dorf

I read so many posts saying how good it is but my experience wasn't great as I gained 2 stone in a few months! I'm trying it again but will keep an eye on my weight.

L

Lu91

I read so many posts saying how good it is but my experience wasn't great as I gained 2 stone in a few months! I'm trying it again but will keep an eye on my weight.
Its worth a try, but if it doesnt work dont worry there are so many different types of medication its just finding the one that suits you.

D

Dorf

Unfortunately my doctor said I'd had every med they could prescribe and all of them caused bad side effects. I'm giving it another go and will watch my weight, hopefully it wont increase again as I'm exercising more

L

Lu91

Unfortunately my doctor said I'd had every med they could prescribe and all of them caused bad side effects. I'm giving it another go and will watch my weight, hopefully it wont increase again as I'm exercising more
Exercise will help as well.

Medications do make you feel bad at first but just have to push through which i kmow is really hard but long term its really worth it.

Take care x