Sertraline to Fluoxetine

D

Dreamcatching

Hi All

I suffer depression and generally have it in episodes, sometimes brought on by things sometimes just out of the blue. The latest one started about a month ago, I chatted to my Doctor who suggested I move from 40mg Fluoxetine to 150mg Sertraline, which I did. I had been on fluoxetine for over 8 years. The switch lasted about 3 days before I started to feel much much worse, so I asked Doctor if I could switch back to Fluoxetine. I'd like to see if anyone has any advice if this switch has done anything or is my depressive episode just staying with me regardless of meds?

Thanks in advance.

R

rose1108

Hi Dreamcatching,

In January of 2015, I began 10 mg of Fluoxetine for my awful anxiety and depression. However, in September of 2016, it stopped working and I began having anxiety attacks all over again. I went to a psychiatrist and she switched me over to 100 mg of Sertraline too. The switch over from Fluoxetine to Sertraline was awful in my opinion. I felt super nauseous and sick all of the time, and was continuing to have bad anxiety. These symptoms went away though after about a week or 2 because it needs time to adapt to your body. Plus, it takes a bit for the Fluoxetine to fully leave your body. Anyways, 2 years later I am still on Sertraline and it has worked wonders for me so far! The period when you are switching over can be very hard, but it is worth it in the end (at least it was for me - I know everyone is different)

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

never had setraline but ive had fluxotine,
i was on a high amount i dont remember how many mg's to be precise,
but it didnt really work for me so i got switched over to mirtazipine whch in my opinion is a lot better

M

Mr Ploppy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
never had setraline but ive had fluxotine,
i was on a high amount i dont remember how many mg's to be precise,
but it didnt really work for me so i got switched over to mirtazipine whch in my opinion is a lot better
I’m on sertraline (100mg) went as high as 150mg but it had no effect, still think my depression has too many triggers (loads) associated with it for the drugs to work.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

I’m on sertraline (100mg) went as high as 150mg but it had no effect, still think my depression has too many triggers (loads) associated with it for the drugs to work.
sorry to hear that mate

N

Nemopower

Hello, I have been on sertraline 200mg for a while however did not feel that it was helping me any more. My GP switched me over to fluoxetine 20mg. He was not helpful at all. I also take Matazapine 45mg at night along with propanolol 80mg. I am having really bad side effects from the Fluoxetine such as bad headaches, hot and cold flushes, shivering, dizziness, and generally feeling even more depressed. As my GP is so unhelpful I am turning to this forum for advice. Thank you.