Sertraline side effects

• Thread starter Ragdoll what are houses
  • Start date
R

Ragdoll what are houses

Hi. I have been taking 25,mg of sertraline for one week now and feel worse than ever with anxiety and depression. Not sure whether to stop now or persevere if I can. Has anyone had this experience with sertraline? Would really appreciate any advice as I just don't know what to do as side effects are so awful. Thanks

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

you can change medication apparently they say there is a perfect medication out there for you just have to try them all talk to your gp about changing it tell her or him what you are experiencing on it and want to change i was on sertraline for maybe 3 years put on 10 stone was a zombie i never wanted to take antidepressants after that but that's me

J

JennaJ

I wouldn't change anything without consulting a doctor. These medicines take weeks for it to actually begin to have their real effect though.
My boyfriend is on the same thing, although at 100mg (Zoloft) and he noticed that when he stuck with them (like actually remembered to take them everyday lol) it was a lot easier to regulate those emotions of his that tended to mostly get the better of him prior. But when he stops taking them, for whatever reason, the bad moments turn to days to weeks it doesn't matter what he does, he just...Fails. In his head only, a lot, but still to him it's a fail.
He suffers from such terrible anxiety as it is I don't think the drug affected him that way, but for the first while he did get a sick stomach feeling and poor sleep until he was on it for a bit over a month.
It might be worse because his dosage is so much higher but I don't think these drugs are really something that you can take or not take on a whim and I would really, highly suggest you make an appointment ASAP with your doctor to talk about maybe a smaller dose or going to a different brand (neither Cymbalta nor Paxil worked for him but Zoloft seems too)?

S

Sara_1978

When I first started taking fluoxetine my anxiety went thru the roof, everyone was telling me to change medication as it wasn’t suiting me but the dr advised me to persevere with them which I did.
After about 4-5 weeks I slowly started to feel better and had glimpses of real happiness.
Iv since started with another bout of anxiety and have had to up my doseage so waiting for that to kick in now.
I would reccomend you give it a bit longer to settle in ur system if you think u can?
My friend was prescribed fluoxetine and only took them for a week as she couldn't stand the side effects, she’s now on sertriline and has found that suited her much better.
I think there’s going to be a rough ride to begin with whichever medication you take tbh x

Lunus

Lunus

Hi. I have been taking 25,mg of sertraline for one week now and feel worse than ever with anxiety and depression. Not sure whether to stop now or persevere if I can. Has anyone had this experience with sertraline? Would really appreciate any advice as I just don't know what to do as side effects are so awful. Thanks
I have recently changed from Citalopram to Sertraline I’m on 100mg with some other stuff as well. First I would say it’s far too early for you to have gained any benefit yet. Probably around 3-4 weeks before the side effects die down and you start to feel better. Saying that, a dose of 25mg seems very low for them to do anything. I’d try to give it another week and if you feel no better get back to the doctor and tell him/her your concerns.

Lunus

Lunus

I wouldn't change anything without consulting a doctor. These medicines take weeks for it to actually begin to have their real effect though.
My boyfriend is on the same thing, although at 100mg (Zoloft) and he noticed that when he stuck with them (like actually remembered to take them everyday lol) it was a lot easier to regulate those emotions of his that tended to mostly get the better of him prior. But when he stops taking them, for whatever reason, the bad moments turn to days to weeks it doesn't matter what he does, he just...Fails. In his head only, a lot, but still to him it's a fail.
He suffers from such terrible anxiety as it is I don't think the drug affected him that way, but for the first while he did get a sick stomach feeling and poor sleep until he was on it for a bit over a month.
It might be worse because his dosage is so much higher but I don't think these drugs are really something that you can take or not take on a whim and I would really, highly suggest you make an appointment ASAP with your doctor to talk about maybe a smaller dose or going to a different brand (neither Cymbalta nor Paxil worked for him but Zoloft seems too)?
That’s excellent advice. Anti depressants are NOT something you should take when you feel like. You must take them everyday or the consequences can be very serious. I just stopped taking mine a while back as I thought I didn’t need them and I was lucky to live through the week.

R

Ragdoll what are houses

you can change medication apparently they say there is a perfect medication out there for you just have to try them all talk to your gp about changing it tell her or him what you are experiencing on it and want to change i was on sertraline for maybe 3 years put on 10 stone was a zombie i never wanted to take antidepressants after that but that's me[/QUOTE

R

Ragdoll what are houses

you can change medication apparently they say there is a perfect medication out there for you just have to try them all talk to your gp about changing it tell her or him what you are experiencing on it and want to change i was on sertraline for maybe 3 years put on 10 stone was a zombie i never wanted to take antidepressants after that but that's me
you can change medication apparently they say there is a perfect medication out there for you just have to try them all talk to your gp about changing it tell her or him what you are experiencing on it and want to change i was on sertraline for maybe 3 years put on 10 stone was a zombie i never wanted to take antidepressants after that but that's me[/Q
Is hard to know what to do, I have tried several other antidepressants and they also have given me awful side effects. Hope you are managing ok with not taking anything, if so you are better off I don't think they are the answer for everyone. stay strong!.

Shingle

Shingle

Your body is going through a major change and it will hopefully result in you feeling better. By two weeks you should notice a positive difference but right now, your body has to get used to something new in its system. Some changes will be happening like sleeping, eating, energy. You might feel more awake but still depressed. It will hopefully get better. List how you are feeling each day so you can keep grounded with this.

R

Ragdoll what are houses

you can change medication apparently they say there is a perfect medication out there for you just have to try them all talk to your gp about changing it tell her or him what you are experiencing on it and want to change i was on sertraline for maybe 3 years put on 10 stone was a zombie i never wanted to take antidepressants after that but that's me[/Q
Is hard to know what to do, I have tried several other antidepressants and they also have given me awful side effects. Hope you are managing ok with not taking anything, if so you are better off I don't think they are the answer for everyone. stay strong!.
It's hard to know what to do. I don't fancy putting on weight, I know antidepressants can do this, I didn't need them. Stay strong!

R

Ragdoll what are houses

It's so hard to know what to do!

R

Ragdoll what are houses

I don't know if I can stand these awful side effects much longer. It's good to hear that your boyfriend is doing well on them!

R

Ragdoll what are houses

I have recently changed from Citalopram to Sertraline I’m on 100mg with some other stuff as well. First I would say it’s far too early for you to have gained any benefit yet. Probably around 3-4 weeks before the side effects die down and you start to feel better. Saying that, a dose of 25mg seems very low for them to do anything. I’d try to give it another week and if you feel no better get back to the doctor and tell him/her your concerns.
Thank you, I think I will take your advice and try to tolrrate them for another week!

R

Ragdoll what are houses

That’s excellent advice. Anti depressants are NOT something you should take when you feel like. You must take them everyday or the consequences can be very serious. I just stopped taking mine a while back as I thought I didn’t need them and I was lucky to live through the week.
Thank you. Yes I know you have to be careful with them. They are powerful drugs!

R

Ragdoll what are houses

Your body is going through a major change and it will hopefully result in you feeling better. By two weeks you should notice a positive difference but right now, your body has to get used to something new in its system. Some changes will be happening like sleeping, eating, energy. You might feel more awake but still depressed. It will hopefully get better. List how you are feeling each day so you can keep grounded with this.
Thank you for giving me hope that things will get better. I will try them for another week!

Shingle

Shingle

Thank you for giving me hope that things will get better. I will try them for another week!
If you get to week six and don't feel significantly better, that is time to think about changing to another type or looking for other types of treatment. 2 weeks is when you should feel a bit better and things start to settle down, side effects start to subside too. Side effects are horrible and all medication gives them, in the beginning it is quite bad

Shingle

Shingle

Hard to tell the difference between side effects and depression sometimes.

6 weeks is what the doctors say to wait for before changing anything.

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

In my experience taking Sertraline, the key is absolutely perseverance. I'm currently on 100mg and was originally on 50, which wasn't quite doing enough at the time. Now I've been on this medication for a good few months, I'm pleased to say that it's definitely taken the edge off and helped tremendously. I actually know someone who took Sertraline for a day, decided they didn't like it and then just threw the whole box away without a second thought. It's so important to persevere with this particular medication as your body is going through a significant change. However, if your symptoms don't improve within another few weeks, it might be worth consulting with your GP and asking for a different medication. Hope this helps xx