• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sertraline side effects & postnatal depression

C

Crazycatlady84

Hi,
I have post natal depression & was in denial for a number of weeks. I finally asked for help from the gp & have been taking sertraline 50mg for 10 days now. I feel so much more anxious & on edge with it first thing in the morning & cannot settle. I take it first thing in the morning as I have developed insomnia which they prescribed sleeping tablets for. The tablets only help me go over for a few hours before I wake again. I have a 3 month old daughter who I can't care for on my own. My husband has had to take time of work to look after her which can't go on forever. My GP says I have to keep going with the meds as they take a while to work but I feel I'm going out of my mind with worry that I'll never feel better & be able to care for my daughter on my own. I do start to feel better as they day pregresses but every day is a struggle & I can't fall asleep naturally. My body & mind are exhausted.

Can anyone offer help or advice? Thank you.

lyma

lyma

Hi Catlady, first of all: a huge load of respect for you, going through birth, having a child is sooo tough! I'm on Sertraline now for almost a month (150mg). I've felt very anxious and shaky in the beginning (up until day6 i think). But i guess everybody reacts differently. I've taken them in the evening, but now i switched to mornings because i had to get up at night to go to the bathroom quite often. I think the worry will kind of settle a bit, when you're on antidepressants. I really hope you'll find the right thing for you. Sending you lots of hugs

C

Crazycatlady84

Hi Catlady, first of all: a huge load of respect for you, going through birth, having a child is sooo tough! I'm on Sertraline now for almost a month (150mg). I've felt very anxious and shaky in the beginning (up until day6 i think). But i guess everybody reacts differently. I've taken them in the evening, but now i switched to mornings because i had to get up at night to go to the bathroom quite often. I think the worry will kind of settle a bit, when you're on antidepressants. I really hope you'll find the right thing for you. Sending you lots of hugs
Thank you for your reply. Its good to hear positive outcomes from the meds. I hope you continue to improve on them x