Sertraline... should i persevere or switch

W

Welshcake

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I've suffered with anxiety most of my adult life and have been on different medications at different periods (fluoxetine, escitralopram, citralopram).

In the last few months I have been diagnosed with depression which feels alien to me. With anxiety as I have had it for so long, I felt as though I could work with it most of the time as it was familiar (as unpleasant as it was).

My last medication was fluoxetine and it was whilst I was on that,the depression developed. My doctor moved me to sertraline 6 weeks ago (50mg for 3 weeks then 100mg).

I know it can take a while for it to take effect, but previously I have had some relief after a few weeks. I still feel the same if not a bit worse. So my question do I persevere for a while or change meds? Any advice greatly received.

I have a doctors appt next week and also start cbt next week.

Many thanks

H

HollyR

Hi!

I'm really sorry that you're suffering with anxiety and depression, I understand how hard it is sometimes as I suffer with Borderline Personality Disorder and Anxiety and Depressive Disorder. I've been on Sertraline for nearly a year, and it's working great for me now, but when I first got on it, the first 4-6 weeks were very very rocky.

I was on 50mg, I was warned that it would make my anxiety worse and would cause me to feel generally terrible, and then a month later I was in hospital for attempted suicide. After that passed my medication was doubled to 100mg and honestly that was the best decisions for the doctors to make. I would advise to persevere and give it a few weeks to work because now I feel a lot better on it, it's just those first few weeks that are super tough.

Make sure you have people around you that can support you, plus it's so good to hear that you're starting therapy! I swear by it and it honestly helps you to find some inner peace and over come your worst demons.

Best wishes!

J

JD12

Curious more about how the depression developed with Prozac.

From my experience when I started prozac I got depressed for like 3-5 weeks, and then slowly built up and was not depressed anymore! was energetic and doing well.

For Zoloft - if it's not showing you results at 100mg, I would switch to something different. I think 6 weeks is plenty.

W

Welshcake

Hi!

I'm really sorry that you're suffering with anxiety and depression, I understand how hard it is sometimes as I suffer with Borderline Personality Disorder and Anxiety and Depressive Disorder. I've been on Sertraline for nearly a year, and it's working great for me now, but when I first got on it, the first 4-6 weeks were very very rocky.

I was on 50mg, I was warned that it would make my anxiety worse and would cause me to feel generally terrible, and then a month later I was in hospital for attempted suicide. After that passed my medication was doubled to 100mg and honestly that was the best decisions for the doctors to make. I would advise to persevere and give it a few weeks to work because now I feel a lot better on it, it's just those first few weeks that are super tough.

Make sure you have people around you that can support you, plus it's so good to hear that you're starting therapy! I swear by it and it honestly helps you to find some inner peace and over come your worst demons.

Best wishes!
Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

I'm so sorry to hear of all you have gone through but good news that the medication/therapy is having a good effect.

I am going to give it another fortnight and hope I start to feel some change.

Take care

W

Welshcake

Curious more about how the depression developed with Prozac.

From my experience when I started prozac I got depressed for like 3-5 weeks, and then slowly built up and was not depressed anymore! was energetic and doing well.

For Zoloft - if it's not showing you results at 100mg, I would switch to something different. I think 6 weeks is plenty.
Hello thank you for your reply

I wish I knew how it had developed. I was originally on medication for anxiety and this is my first bout of depression. I dont know if it's being anxious for so long that has taken its toll or just life events.

Just really want to find something that works and feel like me again

Victorianna

Victorianna

I’m on Zoloft 100mg - it’s helped me with depression. It does take awhile, and doesn’t work for everyone. Your plan of trying for a little longer is good. If you are seeing a doctor next week they can give you a professional opinion. Good luck with CBT, I hope it helps you!

H

HollyR

Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

I'm so sorry to hear of all you have gone through but good news that the medication/therapy is having a good effect.

I am going to give it another fortnight and hope I start to feel some change.

Take care
Thank you :) Hopefully it should start kicking in soon so you don't feel as low! x