• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sertraline questions

W

worthit

Hi,
so I've been on 50mg Sertraline for about 5 weeks now, have had a pretty tough time with them with side effects.
I was out of it for the first week or so, no energy and felt very spaced out and not in my own body.
A long with this my insomnia is back but manifests itself in both that I can't fall asleep, or stay asleep - making me extremely tired… In bed for 2/3am and awake at 4/5 am and very rarely able to get back to sleep once I'm up then. I have been off work since starting them as they have made me that tired etc. I wouldn't be able to function at work.

In the last 3 days I have started suffering from night sweats as well - which is becoming a bit of an issue as if I sleep with a duvet I get them really bad, but if I sleep with just a blanket I don't get them much, however it is very cold and I don't feel hot whilst sweating so it's a bit of a catch 22.

Anyway - the question I have(aside from possibly asking to come off them and change drugs, which my Dr doesn't seem to want to do as tells me to stick it out with these, hopefully back there tomorrow) is I take them at night at the moment, if I was to change to taking in the morning do I need to gradually change the time, or can I shift it by 4/5 hours until I take it at an acceptable time for myself? Usually take it around 10pm at the moment

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

When I was on Sertraline - going back around 8 years now. I always took them in the morning.

I think you will be okay to switch - should be fine.

Only issue with that drug is the withdrawal - but as long as you do it properly this can be minimized.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i used to be on them and took them in the morning. hope it helps.

W

worthit

OK, switching to morning it is. Do I need to even make this time change gradually or should I be ok to miss out a few chunks? Say over a week, rather than 2 or 3? or am I possibly ok to say, take it this afternoon(last one was about 9pm last night) and then tomorrow in the morning?

Thanks guys!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

OK, switching to morning it is. Do I need to even make this time change gradually or should I be ok to miss out a few chunks? Say over a week, rather than 2 or 3? or am I possibly ok to say, take it this afternoon(last one was about 9pm last night) and then tomorrow in the morning?

Thanks guys!
I guess you could do it gradually if you are more comfortable with that. Either way is fine IMO.

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have lost my sertraline and am feeling it? How the hell have lost them I don't know!!!! You should definitely take them in the morning, to kick start the day, if you take them at night it probably will cause insomnia?

katss

W

worthit

Did you find them? I hope so, and that you're doing OK.

Bit of un update from me. I hope everyone is OK and feeling as good as they can be?
I now take these in the morning. The night sweats havn't really stopped and my sleeping is still pretty hit and miss - but I think slightly improved. I am now back at home, and recently back to work - finally.
I got a new prescription of these pretty much a couple days after my last post, and I noticed they were a slightly different packaging etc. Looking back, it seems as though this very slight change in the meds(obv essentially being the same drug) as I was pretty low again for about a week, now settling back onto them fine again. I am almost out of this pack now.
I'm feeling better for being at work and back home, getting a lot of comments about it being good to see me happy again. I'm noticing that I get hyper a lot more, but I'm kinda OK with that as it works in my work environment, really.
I'm still feeling quite emotional at times but I feel better able to cope. I've had a lot happen in my personal life since Christmas that's taken it's toll on it's own, but I am dealing with those seperatley. I think the fact I havn't had a complete breakdown again proves to me these are finally working - thank gawd!

Hopefully the night sweats and sleep will get better soon, but for now, I'm enjoying being able to go to work and to genuinely laugh and to interact with my colleagues again. Saying that - I don't think I coulda handled work at any earlier point than when I finally went back, so I'm glad in a way that I had these side effects and felt the need to take 6 weeks off.

So for anyone else wondering about this drug. Please do ride it out, it really is worth it in the strangest of ways!

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you for your update worthit, it is good to hear you are doing well :)