• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sertraline has it made you worse

C

Cazfox

Sertraline has it made anyone worse my son been on it for 7 weeks started at 50mg now on 150 mg but he is going downhill not getting out of bed not eating losing weight anyone else had this experience

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Taking a break
It does sound like he is depressed. Difficult to pinpoint sertraline as the cause.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I'd go back to the GP and discuss your concerns.

C

Cazfox

In the process but takes so long wsnt him to get up to 200mg before they do anything asked for a second opinion got a appointment with a new physic next week but dont know how thehell I will get him there cos he wont leave the house

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on 50mg for anxiety and I think it works well enough and I suffer no side effects from it but I heard from others that it wasn't so great for depression.

J

JCPraha

How long has he been on the higher dose of 150 mg? It is still possible it could be effective if it has been less than 6 weeks. It has happened to me that meds made me feel worse for more than a month and the began to have a positive effect. That is the problem with MH meds, it takes so long to determine if they will be effective.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Glad you've asked for a second opinion, must be very difficult for you.
Have child mental health ever seen your son? They do visits in the home usually.
Hugs

C

Cazfox

Yes they have been doing home visits just this new doctor doest

J

JCPraha

He has been on the higher dose for too short a time to determine if it will be effective. It is still quite possible it will be. You will know for sure after another month.

H

hew44686

Hi, yes I'm having the same experience on 50mg Sertraline and definitely feel worse. I am switching because it is making me even more depressed. Maybe your son should switch to a new med too, as he sounds in the exact same position as me

J

JCPraha

How is he doing now? Did the increased dose help? If not, did you change meds? I hope it helped him. Let us know.

C

Cazfox

He is still.on the sertraline but now also been put on a antipsychotic which does seem to be helping him he should have been put on the antipsychotic at the beginning if I hadn't of asked for a second opinion he wouldnt have been put on the antipsychotic .I feel sorry for people who just go along with whatever the doctors tell them i always speak my mind and will tell them when i feel something is not right .

J

JCPraha

It is difficult with doctors. Generally, if a patient does not have a strong advocate who is knowledgeable, the doctors won't help so much. They only do what is easy and convenient for them. Sadly, they often don't seem to care so much about the patients.