• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sertraline for panic/anxiety

BethNicole

BethNicole

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with panic disorder/anxiety and started sertraline for this 5.5 weeks ago... I am very up and down, some days the panic is barely there and I start to feel like I’m getting better and then other days it comes back really bad... I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with sertraline for panic and weather this is normal and how long it took for them to feel better? Just wanting to speak to someone going through the same as me X

Bod

Bod

Hi and welcome, I am on Sertraline 50mg at the moment but my GP has just upped it to 100mg as it helps on my depression and anxiety. At the moment I am having some good days and bad days but I know that will pass in time.

Bod

Bod

Just a thought, if that is you in the avatar it might be worth changing to something different.

BethNicole

BethNicole

Yes sorry hadn’t read that you weren’t supposed to put photos till now lol.. how long have you been on sertraline if you don’t mind me asking?

Bod

Bod

32 days I have been on the 50mg, but my next box will be 100mg as I need that little bit more of a boost.

BethNicole

BethNicole

Do you think I should try upping my dose too if I’m still very up and down? I’ve been scared to up my dose as I suffered with really bad side effects the first couple of weeks

BethNicole

BethNicole

I’m due a review at 8 weeks so I’ll see how I get on until then, thank you

SirBooks

SirBooks

Personally Sertraline didn't work well for me so the GP switched me on to Citalopram instead. See how you feel after the 8 weeks cause these types of meds take a couple weeks to take affect.

H

hairybanana

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with panic disorder/anxiety and started sertraline for this 5.5 weeks ago... I am very up and down, some days the panic is barely there and I start to feel like I’m getting better and then other days it comes back really bad... I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with sertraline for panic and weather this is normal and how long it took for them to feel better? Just wanting to speak to someone going through the same as me X
I was on 200mg but side effects hit me too hard. Have gone back to 150mg. Have been on this for years. To be honest I'm not sure if it's ever done much for my depression. But it has helped with anxiety immensely and ptsd

BethNicole

BethNicole

Thank you.. I am definitely seeing improvements with my anxiety just very up and down but no where near as bad as I was.. how long did it take you to feel yourself again ? X

BethNicole

BethNicole

Personally Sertraline didn't work well for me so the GP switched me on to Citalopram instead. See how you feel after the 8 weeks cause these types of meds take a couple weeks to take affect.
Thank you I definitely will x

H

hairybanana

Thank you.. I am definitely seeing improvements with my anxiety just very up and down but no where near as bad as I was.. how long did it take you to feel yourself again ? X
Interesting question. I have always struggled with anxiety and depression so I don’t really know what it’s like to be any other way.

Any new medication or change in dose takes around 4-6 weeks to kick in. 8 week review you and your doctor will have a clear idea if it’s working or needs a change.

I used to have crippling anxiety where I couldn’t get out of my car to go into work sometimes or go to the shops for food etc. So it’s definitely had an affect on anxiety, massively. Have done more things outside the comfort zone in the past couple years than I ever have.

I wouldn’t get put off by side effects, if you get them they should ease up in a couple of weeks. Even being on the 200mg wasn’t bad, just got head spins a lot and made exercise incredibly difficult so had to go back.

I hope things balance out for you soon