Serquel addictive?

J

joe383

Is it good to begin Serquel (quetiapine) to deal with my problems of anxiety and sleep? Some months ago I stopped Zyprexa(olanzapine) and Dr. Put me on anti-depressants(Escitalopram). Because of my anxiety and sleep problems, the new doctor again put me on a low dose of Seroquel. Is it addictive.. I am afraid to take it because it also belongs to the same class. Please let me know

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi Joe

:welcome: to the forum!

I'm on Seroquel XR and have been for at least 2yrs now....

My dose has slowly increased over that time as was needed....

I hear/read that yes it is addictive, but as I have never come off it, I haven't experienced it myself. I have read stories here however of people struggling with withdrawals - but if it helps you then I think it's worth taking.

In my opinion, and just based on myself, I do find it very good. It's brilliant for helping me sleep and that's a huge benefit.

I still do have a anxiety but I definitely feel it helps with this too...

Maybe speak to your GP or psychiatrist about your concerns before you decide what's best for you ....

And I'm sure you will get more replies here that can help you too...

Take care!

L

LouiseMN

Hi Joe

:welcome: to the forum!

I'm on Seroquel XR and have been for at least 2yrs now....

My dose has slowly increased over that time as was needed....

I hear/read that yes it is addictive, but as I have never come off it, I haven't experienced it myself. I have read stories here however of people struggling with withdrawals - but if it helps you then I think it's worth taking.

In my opinion, and just based on myself, I do find it very good. It's brilliant for helping me sleep and that's a huge benefit.

I still do have a anxiety but I definitely feel it helps with this too...

Maybe speak to your GP or psychiatrist about your concerns before you decide what's best for you ....

And I'm sure you will get more replies here that can help you too...

Take care!
I have been taking seroquel for 10 years and I am not sure if it helps my depression but it helps me sleep. So why worry about it, as you want to continue to sleep. My good nights of sleep are lifesaving when I am suffering with depression and anxiety

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi MDD

I take Effexor for depression as to my knowledge Seroquel is for Anxiety and not an antidepressant....

However I do know for sure that Effexor IS an antidepressant...

Maybe you could look into taking an antidepressant too if you are still suffering this way..

Take Care....

L

LittleMissNameless

Seroquel is a mood stabilizer/atypical antipsychotic
I take a fairly high dose for many years I haven't found it to be addictive at all or even develop any kind of dependency like I have on some antidepressants.
that being said everyone is different