• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

seroquel giving me some zip!

M

mickeymoo

I started 2 days ago on a very low dose and from everybody elses experience I was expecting to be a zombie! But I'm not at all. I have loads of energy and I'm being busy, busy, busy.

My question is: I am only on 50mg at night, 25mg in morning, is it because the dose is so low it's not having any effect or is it just I'm one of the lucky ones and it doesn't sedate me? When the dose is highered will it make me tired then?

I don't feel at all manic though, I am very busy but for the first time in ages my head actually feels like its emptying out. I do feel irritable though.

S

skyblue

I think it depends on whether or not people are taking the general Seroquel or Seroquel XL. The general one is fast release and can make you feel quite sedated. Seroquel XL is slow release and this one doesn't make you feel drowsy.

Now your going to me your taking the general one hey lol :p.

All that matters is that you're feeling better now and that's the main thing. Glad to hear it :) x

M

mickeymoo

Skyblue, I am indeed taking the general one! I feel a little spaced out after I take it but certainly not slowed down or sedated!

S

skyblue

:LOL: How did I know you were going to say that lol.

It does sound asthough it's really helping you, I'm so pleased you're feeling better and NOT drowsy. As you mentioned earlier, you must be one of the lucky ones (y)

I take 400mg Seroquel XL and this works really well for me and I don't feel drowsy. But, unfortunately the Depakote does. Oh well,.. we can't have it all.

Have a good weekend Mickey xx

Last edited:
jax

jax

I was very manic and in hospital when I started seroquel. I was started on 50 mgs twice a day and eventually went up to 900 mg a day. I was a zombie from the first dose. I had been going 4-5 days with a 15 minute nap one of the days and then another 4-5 days of the same. The first 50mg dose that I got, I slept for 8 full hours without any waking at all. I was put on the XL my last hospitalization in August there - I had to go back on the regular seroquel as I couldn't sleep without it. I think the seroquel is a great drug and it really helps me.

S

skyblue

I was very manic and in hospital when I started seroquel. I was started on 50 mgs twice a day and eventually went up to 900 mg a day. I was a zombie from the first dose. I had been going 4-5 days with a 15 minute nap one of the days and then another 4-5 days of the same. The first 50mg dose that I got, I slept for 8 full hours without any waking at all. I was put on the XL my last hospitalization in August there - I had to go back on the regular seroquel as I couldn't sleep without it. I think the seroquel is a great drug and it really helps me.
Yep, I can totally relate with this Jax, as I'm taking Seroquel XL which works really well, only I cannot sleep very well, which is why I need to take sleeping pills in combination. Hopefully, this will only be short term use, until I've settled and become well again. I'm seeing my Psychiatrist next week, he may well have to swap me over to the regular Seroquel to help me sleep.

johnfloyd6675

johnfloyd6675

I started 2 days ago on a very low dose and from everybody elses experience I was expecting to be a zombie! But I'm not at all. I have loads of energy and I'm being busy, busy, busy.

My question is: I am only on 50mg at night, 25mg in morning, is it because the dose is so low it's not having any effect or is it just I'm one of the lucky ones and it doesn't sedate me? When the dose is highered will it make me tired then?

I don't feel at all manic though, I am very busy but for the first time in ages my head actually feels like its emptying out. I do feel irritable though.
You're probably very slightly hypomanic. The best drug combos for manic depression leave us just a taste away from being charged up and hypomanic all the time, but in charge of ourselves and euthymic.

25mg in the morning isn't enough to slow you down if you're going somewhere, and I imagine the 50 at night helps you get to sleep when you should. That proper sleep with the 25mg of quetiapine will get you in a good place.

A

AussieGirl

I was on 400 mg per day - your dose is very low so you probably won't notice too much. The long acting one that I took made me really, really sleepy.