• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Seroquel for GAD

B

byoung57

Has anyone taken seroquel for GAD? I've had it prescribed to me by my psychiatrist and I'd like to know what to expect.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Did your psychiatrist explain why they chose this particular drug?

And what dosage did they prescribe? I assume it's to be taken at night as it can have a sedating effect. It's also prescribed for insomnia and other psychological disorders.

I have a friend that uses Seroquel (aka Quetiapine) but not for GAD.

O

On Fire

It's fairly hardcore for GAD.

E

EclipticNight

I take it for a sleep disorder similar to narcolepsy called phase delay sleep disorder. I cant sleep without it. Its strong stuff.

F

fragrant_violet

I take for sleep. 50mg for the last few years.

It may work for anxiety at a higher dose which would be 200mg +

B

byoung57

Thanks for all of your replies. My psychiatrist has tried multiple meds over the last year to help with my severe GAD. None have had any effect, thus we arrive at Seroquel.

R

Rosethorn100

Hey, I have taken this for years. It works wonders for sleep. What dosage are you on? I used to take 300mg which made me gain a ton of weight, since dropping to 125 it's much better and am no longer zombiefied. I think it's a great med, it's just about finding the right dosage. 😊

B

byoung57

Hey, I have taken this for years. It works wonders for sleep. What dosage are you on? I used to take 300mg which made me gain a ton of weight, since dropping to 125 it's much better and am no longer zombiefied. I think it's a great med, it's just about finding the right dosage. 😊
Thanks Rosethorn. I was prescribed 50 mg at night for the first time yesterday. I was afraid to take the full 50 so I cut it in half for my first dose to see what the effects might be. I was really tired and sluggish this morning, but, and I know that this is only my first day, the anxiety level seems to be less. Are you taking it for GAD? Any information that you could give me would be appreciated.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I take Seroquel 600 mg at night. It has no sedating effect on me. I have GAD and bipolar depression. I've been on it for maybe three years and my dosage has steadily been increased to 600 mg. I'm not even sure it is working for me. I have treatment-resistant depression, so I get little, if any, effect from the meds that I take. The only med that I take that I know works for me is Klonopin for anxiety. Having treatment-resistant depression is no fun.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I've also tried ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) and rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation). No help whatsoever.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Here's part of a post I wrote recently about ECT (electro-convulsive therapy):

I had 15 sessions of ECT maybe 10 years ago. I have treatment-resistant depression, so I was willing to try it. I hear different people have different outcomes with it. For me, it was planned for me, coming from another facility by ambulance. The hospital I was admitted to had staff that I saw on a daily basis, just like in any other mental health facility where they would give you your meds, take your blood pressure several times a day, have group therapy, have arts & crafts, other fun activities, have a daily session with your psychiatrist, etc. The only thing different about this setting was that they also performed ECT treatments on some of the patients. The treatments were administered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, so I was in the hospital for about five weeks. They turn off the water faucet in your room for those days, because you're not allowed to drink or eat because you'll be under general anesthesia. When it's your turn for treatment, they put you on a gurney and wheel you off to where the procedure is actually performed. There were about four people in this really tiny room (it was kind of funny looking at all of them in there). They give you a general anesthetic because you do convulse. You don't feel anything because you are under general anesthesia. I think the actual procedure takes around five minutes or so. They then wheel you on a gurney to a rather large recovery room (I was the only one in there) where you recover for about an hour. You feel no pain whatsoever, before, during (okay, maybe an IV needle prick if I remember correctly), or after the procedure. You don't remember anything about the procedure when you wake up in the recovery room and you wonder where you are when you do wake up. They then wheel you up to the regular patient ward. This pattern repeats for all of the patients who are getting ECT treatments. Not every patient gets ECT treatments, if I remember correctly. There are two types of placing the two electrodes on your forehead: unilateral and bilateral. In unilateral, one electrode is placed on the top of your head and the other electrode is placed on your forehead. In bilateral, the two electrodes are placed on opposite sides of your forehead. I don't know how they determine this, but I was given four unilateral treatments and eleven bilateral treatments. I kind of enjoyed being under general anesthesia, because I didn't have to worry about anything during this brief moment of time. Now for the $64,000 question: did I have any side effects from it and did it help me. As far as the side effects are concerned, it's pretty common to have some sort of memory loss (I'm not exactly sure of the statistic). The memory loss can be in the time period right after the procedure was performed or it can be further back in time. I did experience some memory loss (it's hard for me to say exactly how much, because you don't know what you don't know). My memory loss did go back all the way until I was a small child, but I think it was a small memory loss. Who knows. Now did it help me? I'd have to say no, and I wouldn't get it again. I've read that if the treatments didn't help you, that they won't help you again if you do try it for a second time. But everyone's experience with it can vary, so it's your decision call. Let me know what else you want to know. You can tell from my lengthy reply, that I'm into all aspects of this treatment

R

Rosethorn100

Thanks Rosethorn. I was prescribed 50 mg at night for the first time yesterday. I was afraid to take the full 50 so I cut it in half for my first dose to see what the effects might be. I was really tired and sluggish this morning, but, and I know that this is only my first day, the anxiety level seems to be less. Are you taking it for GAD? Any information that you could give me would be appreciated.
Hi,
Definately wise to take it at your own comfortable pace, really strong stuff. I did find the higher the dose, the less sedatory. Did you feel tired quickly after your dose? I tend to take my meds about an hour before I want to sleep. If you find it too strong, have a snack before you take it, that really helps. I take it for depression and anxiety. Hope it gives you a good night's rest. 😊

BeautyInRepair

BeautyInRepair

Hello,

I was on Seroquel for about a year at 100 mg for anxiety and bipolar 1. I loved being on the Seroquel it helped me sleep so well and it really helped with my anxiety. But my side effects were irritability and anger. Those were only the two symptoms that I had which my doctor then took me off of because it was interfering with my relationship. Getting off of the Seroquel was not good for me but I was put on Abilify. It's only been about 2 weeks since my medication changed but I do miss the Seroquel.