• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

seroquel and sleep issues

Jo1760

Jo1760

Following a visit from the C.T. I was perscribed seroquel at 50mg (to be increased this week) which i have been taking for the last 2.5 weeks. It was perscribed to balance my moods (mainly stop impulsive thinking or help reduce it anyway) and to help me sleep.

During the first week I slept really well. managing more hours than normal however this seemed to change on Thursday night last week, I didnt get to sleep until nearly 6.00 am on Friday morning. Saturday wasn't so bad, but last night I only managed 4 hours sleep and tonight only 1.5.

I wake up feeling exhausted, really tired to the point my eyes are stinging but even so still can't sleep. I have kept to a sleeping routine, tried a bath before bed, warm drink, lavender pillow sprays etc as well as taking the seroquel.

Has anyone else has similar sleep issues with seroquel?

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am on 600mg of seroquel and to be honest it knocks me out completely although if i don't take it I am up all night maybe the increased dose will help again with your sleep

Messy x

F

freshy

I was just online reading a bunch of reviews on seroquel. I take 25mg's @ night only, and not every night. I take what I believe is the lowest dose, and usually, I have no trouble falling a sleep. Since I have been off my Clexia I have a bit more trouble, but before, about an hr after taking it, I just want to lay down and pass out. Tough getting up though. No matter how many hrs of sleep I get.

After reading all those reviews, I'm almost nervous to keep taking it, and I have no idea how ppl can take much more then the lowest dose. Of course different ppl have different concerns, but for me, I don't think I could do it.

I hope Seroquel helps you with sleep. I know all to well the horrors of not sleeping.

K

Kate31

seroquel

Hi,

I take 300mg at night and it knocks me out for about 10 hrs. When i first started on it at 25mg -75mg dose it didn't help me sleep but this dose really helped my anxiety.

P

phoenixx

im tacking 600mgs seroquel and having trouble sleeping im having nightmares 2/3 times a week and still experiencing voices and visions does anyone else?

K

Kate31

seroquel

i can relate to the nightmares - i wake up and remember everything too, which can be pretty scary and disorientating.

P

phoenixx

spoke with my cpn today she prescribed me 10mgs abilify to take as well as 600mgs seroquel also some lorazapan to calm me down..think they are slowly decreasing seroquel and increasing abilify so am hoping will feel a bit better soon i feel very alone at the moment cant sleep hearing voices telling me things to do seeing demons everywere i go like there after me is all very frightening hoping it will stop soon anyone else take abilify wats it like? had to stop tacking risperidone due to bad side affects.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I still hear voices too and can relate the nightmare side of things really strongly. I have nightmares regularly, sometimes a few in one night's rest alone. My bedside lamp is going on and off throughout the night because of this. The thing is, they are always related to either dying or hellish type stuff. The other night I was walking along a high cliff near the sea ( very pleasant ) when the scene changed to a gang of youths attacking me and killing me. The next thing I was just in blackness and then felt a pulling sensation within me taking me through a place of white light and all sorts of coloured shapes ( mainly red, purple and yellow ). I felt my body was elsewhere and then I felt I was rushing back to it, I woke up. Anybody else having nightmares like that ?

The hellish ones are far worse. The other week I woke from a disturbing dream that I can't remember but I was very frightened. I felt a presence near me that was making me feel angry and it gradually moved away and went after a couple of minutes. I've seen demonic creatures ( like ugly, bony and winged things) both in my mind and above or near me on waking but they are so faint and go after a short while. I've got so used to them that I shrug my shoulders, switch the light back off and get back off to sleep again once they're gone.

Also, I had another recent dream where I felt I was low down somewhere and the setting was in an office with a white heard man with a moustache. I asked him where I was and he said, "Well. . . your in Hell." He said it so calmly like he was talking business or something. The sudden fright snapped me awake instantly as I felt a very nasty experience was about to happen.

A

Apotheosis

The other night I was walking along a high cliff near the sea ( very pleasant ) when the scene changed to a gang of youths attacking me and killing me. The next thing I was just in blackness and then felt a pulling sensation within me taking me through a place of white light and all sorts of coloured shapes ( mainly red, purple and yellow ). I felt my body was elsewhere and then I felt I was rushing back to it, I woke up. Anybody else having nightmares like that ?
It is incredibly rare for me to have a dream that I would describe as having being good - at best they are very bizarre, quite often bad nightmares.

Last year I lay on the bed in the day & fell asleep - I was aware that I was asleep on the bed, I get that a lot - conscious awareness in sleep. Then I had very strong physical sensations that I was dying, I really believed that I was; I believed that I had died, & I left my body, saw a lot of coloured lights, & then went into bright light. I shortly after came to & woke up - I had been asleep about 20 mins.

Your not alone in such things. Such accounts do correlate to lucid dreams/astral projection & such like. Maybe worth you looking into such subjects?

A thought that did spring to mind - is that maybe you were recounting a past life in that dream? Just an idea.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
It is incredibly rare for me to have a dream that I would describe as having being good - at best they are very bizarre, quite often bad nightmares.
It's good to know I'm not alone in this because I was getting concerned that I may have underlying issues that were in need of taking a look at.

Last year I lay on the bed in the day & fell asleep - I was aware that I was asleep on the bed, I get that a lot - conscious awareness in sleep. Then I had very strong physical sensations that I was dying, I really believed that I was; I believed that I had died, & I left my body, saw a lot of coloured lights, & then went into bright light. I shortly after came to & woke up - I had been asleep about 20 mins.
Concious awareness in sleep. I can only add that I've had recurring feelings of floating above my body elsewhere in the room when I was recovering from the last blip. It actually felt really pleasant but it used to wake me up shortly afterwards.

I don't know what the coloured lights are but I had a similar dream where I was surrounded in white light and there was this small, lone, red shape of light at the bottom right of my vision and it was making a fairly quiet but high pitched whistling sound. That's been bugging me even more because I felt very frightened of whatever I was seeing. It felt very close to me, possibly within me whatever it was. The lights I saw after that nightmare were similar but much more intense and thinking back to it there was a very colourful background to some of it. The white light made up the rest of the area where there were no coloured lights.

Your not alone in such things. Such accounts do correlate to lucid dreams/astral projection & such like. Maybe worth you looking into such subjects?
Actually, I've read a lot of information on the internet about that and had some experiences over the years - even before reading up on such things. I've mentioned before about the premonition with the council house that I actually lived in many years later. Well I was surrounded by the same white light when I was having it. What is that white light ?

A thought that did spring to mind - is that maybe you were recounting a past life in that dream? Just an idea.
It's possible but I really don't know. Speaking of which, I've had dreams as a child, back in the 80's, one of which I was driving down the beach front in a car in the 70's. I knew it was the 70's because the car was from that time and all my mates in the car had hairstyles and clothes from that period. I remember feeling really happy and confident in that one :). There are dreams which took place in the medieval times that were depressing and frightening but also in some time periods afterwards. Could these all be past lives ? It's possible. . .

A

Apotheosis

It's possible but I really don't know. Speaking of which, I've had dreams as a child, back in the 80's, one of which I was driving down the beach front in a car in the 70's. I knew it was the 70's because the car was from that time and all my mates in the car had hairstyles and clothes from that period. I remember feeling really happy and confident in that one :). There are dreams which took place in the medieval times that were depressing and frightening but also in some time periods afterwards. Could these all be past lives ? It's possible. . .
My paradigm isn't the Bio-Medical, scientific reductionist, materialistic one.

There is an idea, that as the Soul progresses in maturity, through dreams & other experiences, the Soul starts to become aware while incarnated, of it's other incarnations.

You may like this book - I would highly recommend it -

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=4&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://snoedel.moorelife.nl/Journey_of_Souls,_Michael_Newton.pdf

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Sou...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260967154&sr=8-1

You would know the hidden realm
where all souls dwell.
The journey's way lies
through death's misty fell.
Within this timeless passage
a guiding light does dance,
Lost from conscious memory,
but visible in trance.

M.N.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
My paradigm isn't the Bio-Medical, scientific reductionist, materialistic one.

There is an idea, that as the Soul progresses in maturity, through dreams & other experiences, the Soul starts to become aware while incarnated, of it's other incarnations.
On AstralDynamics.com there has been some discussion of this on their forum regarding this awareness.

You may like this book - I would highly recommend it -
I've actually had that one on my shelf for a long while, but read it just the once a few years ago. I also have the other books in that series by the same author. They are very good reads and offer lots of information in the subject area.

You would know the hidden realm
where all souls dwell.
The journey's way lies
through death's misty fell.
Within this timeless passage
a guiding light does dance,
Lost from conscious memory,
but visible in trance.

M.N.
Good poem.

A

Apotheosis

On AstralDynamics.com there has been some discussion of this on their forum regarding this awareness.
Thanks for the link; I will check it out - do you post on there?

I've actually had that one on my shelf for a long while, but read it just the once a few years ago. I also have the other books in that series by the same author. They are very good reads and offer lots of information in the subject area.
I have all his books too.

What's your take on what we have experienced in regards to altered states - is it biological/pathological? - or - something else? - or - Both?

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Thanks for the link; I will check it out - do you post on there?
I used to post on there fairly often, but I don't post on there much any more.

I have all his books too.

What's your take on what we have experienced in regards to altered states - is it biological/pathological? - or - something else? - or - Both?

I think altered states are a spiritual phenomenon but you can say biology and pathology has its influences on these states. One interesting way of thinking is that our waking lives are experienced from a very low state of awareness as we go about business and getting things done each day. When we sleep, I believe we actually experience ourselves fully and our sub-concious/un-concious minds emerge letting us explore our fears, needs, desires and to make aware of life lessons that are presenting themselves both right now and in the future.

Another way of looking at it is that when we are concious, we are just experiencing ourselves from a top-level - like the last stone on the top of a pyramid. We are aware of a limited amount of information. When we are fully aware of our sub-concious and un-concious minds ( when sleeping ) then we are revealing the rest of the stones of that pyramid below. These stones are memories and past experiences and knowledge but also the rest of who we are as a being.

I believe that altered states of awareness are just that, going down to different levels of conciousness within ourselves. But what I describe above sounds like normal conciousness is actually us asleep and when we are asleep we are actually awake as ourselves completely.

I have got that train of though from a Coast to Coast radio show video on Youtube I watched recently and it resonates well with me. Interesting that word "resonate" as in "vibration" and like vibrations attract spiritually :D.

Now I need a :tea:.

A

Apotheosis

I think altered states are a spiritual phenomenon but you can say biology and pathology has its influences on these states. One interesting way of thinking is that our waking lives are experienced from a very low state of awareness as we go about business and getting things done each day. When we sleep, I believe we actually experience ourselves fully and our sub-concious/un-concious minds emerge letting us explore our fears, needs, desires and to make aware of life lessons that are presenting themselves both right now and in the future.

Another way of looking at it is that when we are concious, we are just experiencing ourselves from a top-level - like the last stone on the top of a pyramid. We are aware of a limited amount of information. When we are fully aware of our sub-concious and un-concious minds ( when sleeping ) then we are revealing the rest of the stones of that pyramid below. These stones are memories and past experiences and knowledge but also the rest of who we are as a being.

I believe that altered states of awareness are just that, going down to different levels of conciousness within ourselves. But what I describe above sounds like normal conciousness is actually us asleep and when we are asleep we are actually awake as ourselves completely.

I have got that train of though from a Coast to Coast radio show video on Youtube I watched recently and it resonates well with me. Interesting that word "resonate" as in "vibration" and like vibrations attract spiritually :D.

Now I need a :tea:.
Hi Blue Moon - It's a good description - Holistic, expansive, & Jungian. I think similar.

- & the 'psychotic' or altered states can open up the 'rest of the stones of the pyramid' & an awareness of other levels of our consciousness/unconsciousness & maybe other levels of reality - an awareness of the multi dimensional nature of things.

I have listened to quite a few of the 'Coast to Coast' broadcasts - they can be interesting & intelligent.

It is an interesting question as to how much of what is going on in altered states is pathological? - & how much is something else entirely. I try to take a more multi faceted & expansive view on these things.

It's interesting chatting with you as always. :)