• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Serioously struggling to cope

C

cherryredm

This is my first time on here but am really stuck with who to tell about what is happening for me.
I am a single mum to 2 young boys aged 2 and 4, I left my husband last year after a 7 year emotionally abusive relationship in which I felt worthless and useless, I self-harmed continually and felt so alone and scared.
After leaving I was diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder. My ex partner used this against me and told his lawyer I am unsafe with my kids and he he went to my GP and said the same thing- that he thought I would harm them- I was devestated, and my ex didn't see why this was so upsetting. My head was all over the place, I was hallucinating and self-harming constantly, I really wanted to take an overdose but a friend helped me through it.
I feel so stressed out right now and find everything a struggle, looking after the boys and having no money is so hard and I finish most days by crying alone. Although I am on medication I have started self-harming again and keep thinking about taking pills as I want a rest so badly I can't see any other way out and i can't tell anyone how I actually feel.
Are there any other mothers who feel like this and how do they cope with their kids when these things are going on in their heads? I want to give up.

A

angel10

I just wanted to say I really feel for you. I too am a mum and I'm finding it very difficult at the moment to cope with everything going on. Can you make an appointment with a gp or similar. Have you got any meantal health groups in your area you can contact?

C

cherryredm

I saw my GP yesterday and she sent an 'emergency referal' to my CPN but I have to wait til next week to see someone same with my psychiatrist. Feels like forever away. I think there is a bi-polar support group where I live but feel like things aren't bad enough to go.

S

snnny

Hi
I think what you been through is truly awful and right now you need people around you can trust, and can help you out a bit with the kids.
its really hard to put yourself first when you are a single parent I used to one for 2 years before I met my current husband-breaking up from an abusive relationship takes a long time to recover from -finding a woman's group in your area might help right now-dont be alone with this..

S

skyblue

This is my first time on here but am really stuck with who to tell about what is happening for me.
I am a single mum to 2 young boys aged 2 and 4, I left my husband last year after a 7 year emotionally abusive relationship in which I felt worthless and useless, I self-harmed continually and felt so alone and scared.
After leaving I was diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder. My ex partner used this against me and told his lawyer I am unsafe with my kids and he he went to my GP and said the same thing- that he thought I would harm them- I was devestated, and my ex didn't see why this was so upsetting. My head was all over the place, I was hallucinating and self-harming constantly, I really wanted to take an overdose but a friend helped me through it.
I feel so stressed out right now and find everything a struggle, looking after the boys and having no money is so hard and I finish most days by crying alone. Although I am on medication I have started self-harming again and keep thinking about taking pills as I want a rest so badly I can't see any other way out and i can't tell anyone how I actually feel.
Are there any other mothers who feel like this and how do they cope with their kids when these things are going on in their heads? I want to give up.
Please hang in there. Being a mum is the hardest job in world and having this illness can really wear us down.

Please keep talking here if you need. I'm so glad you've ended the abusive relationship for yourself as well as your children, it really was the best thing for all of you.

I'm so glad your doc is listening to you and has referred you on. I can understand that next week seems such a long time to wait, but if you're in very desparate need, please do not hesitate to go along to your A & E, where you can speak to a Psychiatrist there.

Wishing you the very best and as said if you need to talk again here, please do and we'll help support you where we can.

Take very good care of yourself xx

L

LilMissLost

Hi there, i feel for you so much, it is so hard bringing up kids on your own, especially when you have bipolar, i have a daughter who is 7 and we have just muddled through, i met my partner two and a half years ago, i have just found out iv got bipolar 2, i went to get the help for her as i knew things couldnt carry on the way they were, regardless of the outcome. I tried to get counselling today, primarily for me but also for my daughter (me and her) they said i have to send her through a counselling service at her school, sounds like the road to social services to me so im not doing it, looking into alternatives.

I take it it was your ex who was being emotionally abusive and that possibly contributed to the self harming?? Have you got a lawyer? With 2 young children im sure you would be entitled to some if not all financial help towards one, the most important step now is to not self harm hun, there is definetly a way out but you may need to speak to a gp to get the help you need you could also explain that you would never harm your children but you need help in getting yourself fixed and that the reason behind the self harm is all the stress of your ex being emotionally abusive and blackmailing you (correct me if im wrong), have you any close family/friends who could give you a break, sounds like your medication needs adjusting aswell, to be honest i dont cope either and being lonely can make it all worse, keep posting and i hope you find the help you need and someone has better advice of what you can do :hug:

A

angel10

I saw my GP yesterday and she sent an 'emergency referal' to my CPN but I have to wait til next week to see someone same with my psychiatrist. Feels like forever away. I think there is a bi-polar support group where I live but feel like things aren't bad enough to go.
If there is a bipolar group near you please email them I'm sure they will be able to help. The volunteer groups are very understanding. :grouphug:

C

cherryredm

Thank you all for your understanding, things are getting worse, and have been having suicidal thoughs for the past few days. Still no word from my cpn, feel like crap. Spoke to my mum who told me that I have to keep going because I have no choice, made me feel shit as I don't know if I can.

M

mad as a hatter

can,t u phone ur cpn and tell them how bad things r for u just now

B

Becks

Hi, I know it's a couple of weeks since you posted this, I have just read your post and I have joined the site so that I could post on here as I really felt for you as I am also struggling to cope with depression and looking after 2 young children. I hope you are feeling a bit better now and things don't seem as bad as they did few weeks ago. I don't know whether you are like me but I have days where I am ok and then days where I really struggle to even get up, get dressed etc etc. B x