sensitivity violence and horror

Z

zdzkik

Hello. Not sure if this is in the right forum..when in my 20s I could watch horror movies. Watch anything g with death or scary bits. Now I can't even watch a trailer of a movie. And can't watch any documentary on anything to do with bodies or autopsy. It's really bad that I have to have lights turned on and sleep with lights on. I can't be on my own because I'm edgy all the time. Makes me paranoid. .I recently got diagnosed with ptsd. I laid with my uncle for 3 hours after he died which was in December. I do have visions of him. And then recently there was a programme on tv about body doners and since watching a little bit I am really a mess. Please somone guide me to find out why I'm going thru this. Thanks

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Of course we aren't experts but your post says to me that it might be connected with the death of your Uncle and those three hours afterwards.

Z

zdzkik

Thanks. I think that too but now I'm so messed up. I can't even look at anything with the sight of death or anything. I think I caused my own ptsd. I'm seeing my psychiatrist at the end of the month. only my gp has said I have ptsd so I might get a diagnosis by the psychiatrist. I wish I could change the way my head thinks. I really hate it. I don't make it happen it just comes into my head

keepsafe

keepsafe

It's a hard thing really - did you ever experience anything bad before your uncle - it could be deep rooted stuff that you are not really aware of? Think talk and don;t keep it a secret anymore that will help xxxxx

D

debbie john

Hi i'm debbie i suffer with ptsd i am very sensetive to violence so i know where you are coming from

keepsafe

keepsafe

me too I watch nothing of the sort just soft things that are nice and prissy

Z

zdzkik

I suffered sexual abuse 2 twice in my life. so many things happened to me in my life. deaths of family. emotional abuse. harassment at work.. bullied at school. quite a lot that's happened to me. I could write a book. my gp understands. its just talkimg my psychiatrist round to helping me. I can't live like this its controlling my life every single day. x

Z

zdzkik

Also I am sense time when it comes to the soaps for example coronation street and eastenders. anything violence or somone dying. Kids programs also with coffins in. For example. The haunted mansion is a kids film and I can't watch it without nightmares x

M

misssadness

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Just so you know you are not alone, I cannot watch any horror film or even a trailer. I a so sensitive to anything violent or sad and the least thing will cause me to have nightmares and be depressed. I know how you feel about those things and it is horrible.:hug:

keepsafe

keepsafe

Switch em off then, DONT watch. \sorry you suffered so much me too - abuse of the worse kind I understand its horrible and horrifiying I could also write - I do too much already xxxx

Z

zdzkik

Hey. I do turn them off but my bf watches them too. I tend to avoid them and goto another room. could anyone help me out. How can I explain things to My psychiatrist. I only get 15 minutes with him. x

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe print out your first post and hand it over to him.

xxx

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hey, that's a great idea, MarlieeB.

After an extended two year stay in the psyche ward, I could not tolerate any scary, violent movies nor rock n roll music. What's important about that is in due course of time, I began to get over it. It got better over the years. So it won't necessarily stay like it is now.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think I caused my own ptsd.
You didn't. Please don't think like that or blame yourself in any way.
We do what we can when faced with trauma to deal with it there and then, particularly when it comes to losing a loved one.

As this is a fairly recent diagnosis from your GP, it's still very early days in the healing process but I do want to say that there is hope and you can feel better.
I'm not sure what help will be offered or what's available in your area, but there are things out there that can help your anxiety lessen and give you back control.

It's really important to learn what your triggers are. It's a very good idea to go into another room if your boyfriend insists on watching something potentially upsetting (although ideally it would be good if he knew just how badly things affect you and not watch stuff like that when you're around).

But yeah, if you can learn what sort of things make you feel worse then you can either know to avoid them or with the right help find ways of coping when confronted with something triggering.

Don't be too nervous about seeing the psychiatrist. They will have had a letter from your GP outlining what's been going on for you and so they will know the right questions to ask.
It might be a good idea to write down a few points that you feel are really important to tell the psychiatrist, and if near the end of the session they've not been discussed, say that you need to talk about them.