• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sense of not belonging

K

Kewalarose

I am constantly feeling as though I don't belong. I feel as though I am living in the wrong time, in the wrong place. With current political climates as well as people/society around me, it seems to only validate those thoughts. And those thoughts just keep ruminating in my mind. I turn to faith as I know its the only thing that will keep me grounded and only God will be constantly there to support me after the whole world has turned their backs.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I am constantly feeling as though I don't belong. I feel as though I am living in the wrong time, in the wrong place. With current political climates as well as people/society around me, it seems to only validate those thoughts. And those thoughts just keep ruminating in my mind. I turn to faith as I know its the only thing that will keep me grounded and only God will be constantly there to support me after the whole world has turned their backs.
This. This right here.

I know sometimes people say "I really should have been born like X years ago!", but i genuinely feel like that is the case. For decades, I've kept to the idea that if were born in a different time and place, I'd likely be better off.

As far as faith is concerned, I've had an on/off relationship with religion as a whole since i was a kid. Presently, I really feel like i should be in church, if only for the social aspect of it. At the same time, I constantly feel like i'd be judged (and not in a good christian way) because of how people can be. My main hang up is that normally, after a few minutes and barely knowing your name, they ask what you do for a living and if you have kids.

Those are questions that I'm either ashamed, or scared, to divulge the answer.

So, i've not gone.

Maybe i'm wrong and people won't care, but that (so far) has never been my experience. Sucks, because I do love a good pot luck dinner sometimes.

K

Kewalarose

This. This right here.

I know sometimes people say "I really should have been born like X years ago!", but i genuinely feel like that is the case. For decades, I've kept to the idea that if were born in a different time and place, I'd likely be better off.

As far as faith is concerned, I've had an on/off relationship with religion as a whole since i was a kid. Presently, I really feel like i should be in church, if only for the social aspect of it. At the same time, I constantly feel like i'd be judged (and not in a good christian way) because of how people can be. My main hang up is that normally, after a few minutes and barely knowing your name, they ask what you do for a living and if you have kids.

Those are questions that I'm either ashamed, or scared, to divulge the answer.

So, i've not gone.

Maybe i'm wrong and people won't care, but that (so far) has never been my experience. Sucks, because I do love a good pot luck dinner sometimes.
Thank you for sharing Prince of Cinders. I know. It’s hard.

I’m realizing I wasn’t really clear with what I meant by a sense of not belonging. I am from a minority background and constantly worrying about whether my life is in danger because of what my beliefs are, especially where I live. Many people don’t understand my culture and faith and often misunderstand it and assume that every person of my faith is bad and evil. It gets to a point where I try to avoid people because I don’t want them to judge me although they can tell what my beliefs are just by seeing what I am wearing. Meeting with new people is tough, applying for jobs is tough, as soon as they know that you identify with this faith they automatically assume the worse and judge right away. I feel like this has contributed to my anxiety getting worse.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Thank you, and yes it's a bit rough. I guess i tend to share (if not overshare) here because i can be a little anonymous. Also, typing for me is easier than having to tell someone how i feel in person.

I have some limited problems with all kinds of faiths, but I'm not one to specifically judge whether ones' individual faith is good or bad, unless it directly harms others. Based on what you're saying, I presume you're Muslim? Granted, Islam gets a bad rap at times, and others maybe it's more deserved. This goes without saying for every religion, by and large. Christianity hasn't been innocent, and I'd defy someone to try and argue otherwise.

While i know in the US some people think a certain way, I wouldn't judge you based on wearing a hijab or because you and i follow different religious paths. I would look at how you treat people. How you follow the tenets of your faith. How your actions honor yourself, your faith, and so forth. Know that negative judgments aren't in play here, and at least in this medium, you can relax a little more. I'm sorry that you're struggling with things, and hope that there's some peace you can find in it all.

S

Shay94

Yeah I sorta know what you mean. I've always felt like I never belonged in a certain group/mates I used to be round. Sometimes I felt like they only invited me to parties etc coz people felt sorry for me, even though I probs shouldn't think that way but I can't help it. I start overthinking what others think/feel bout me, if they like me, should I trust them n shit like that & eventually shut everyone out so I don't get hurt in the case that my fear is right. I've had abandonment issues since I was young so constantly felt like everyone was leaving me