• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Self treatment of Bipolar II

E

eternaljourney

I can't take the stress of mental health services any more, I seriously will end up killing myself if they put me through any further humiliation.

Is it possible to self treat Bipolar II with natural/herbal stuff combined with healthy diet, exercise, positive mental attitude etc?
I'm taking Valerian to try and sleep and calm down and considering L-phenylalanine for the depression.
Has anyone tried or is self medicating in this way and perhaps successfully?:shrug:
I am all over the place:unsure:
Does anyone live in the Northwest and actually has decent treatment for Bipolar II?

emski

emski

I was first diagnosed II but then rediagnosed I - don't think it matters, it's all one big spectrum / nightmare! Lol. I have had a lot of treatment privately through medical insurance provided by a previous employer, but the NHS care I had since then spanned less than 6 months, after I came out of hospital I got a visit every few weeks, two appointments with the consultant's SHO and then discharged. I was stable of course, but bear in mind this was only a year ago that I was in hosp and I was discharged in August! Lol. Asked my doctor for some counselling recently (I have never been offered any), and he said he'd refer me back to cmht (but didn't mention psychology referral) Anyway, that's why I'm going into mental health - can't change the system but hopefully I can make some kind of impact in aiding the recovery of some individuals.

As for self treatment or self help, of course diet, exercise, sleep, positive mental attitude all help. There are also loads of books out there that help. I've never taken herbal remedies, as I feel I have enough with the prescribed ones, but things like reflexology have helped me. I also go to an MDF peer support group once a month - the locations are on the MDF website, there are a few in the north west.

:hug:

DrLecter

DrLecter

Support for BiPolar 2

I was first diagnosed II but then rediagnosed I - don't think it matters, it's all one big spectrum / nightmare! Lol. I have had a lot of treatment privately through medical insurance provided by a previous employer, but the NHS care I had since then spanned less than 6 months, after I came out of hospital I got a visit every few weeks, two appointments with the consultant's SHO and then discharged. I was stable of course, but bear in mind this was only a year ago that I was in hosp and I was discharged in August! Lol. Asked my doctor for some counselling recently (I have never been offered any), and he said he'd refer me back to cmht (but didn't mention psychology referral) Anyway, that's why I'm going into mental health - can't change the system but hopefully I can make some kind of impact in aiding the recovery of some individuals.

As for self treatment or self help, of course diet, exercise, sleep, positive mental attitude all help. There are also loads of books out there that help. I've never taken herbal remedies, as I feel I have enough with the prescribed ones, but things like reflexology have helped me. I also go to an MDF peer support group once a month - the locations are on the MDF website, there are a few in the north west.

:hug:
I have to agree with Emski;

The MDF in England can help; they do terrific work, and their support groups are often the best place to learn ideas and hints on how to manage your condition better. Simply having a place to let off steam and share a story with an empathetic ear can be a great self management treatment in itself.

Treatment of bipolar disorder takes many forms, and do remember that what works for one may not work for another. Your unique physiology and symptoms will determine what is best for you! Standard meds tend to be in the form of a mood stabiliser, sometimes prescribed along with an anti-depressant, but I can personally understand why you might wish to avoid prescribed medication.

Have you thought about some behavioural treatments? You can usually self refer through your local GP surgery or primary care service for these:

• CBT – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
  • EFT – Emotional Freedom Technique
  • EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing
  • Family Centered Therapy
  • Counselling
  • Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT)

There's a really good website named www.livinglifetothefull.com It's the brainchild of a Scottish psychiatrist at University of Glasgow, and I've personally found it to be of great use; both professionally and of course for my own self management. It's free to join and may be worthwhile just having a look at. I believe there's a book names "Food for Mood" or something similar! I've heard in recent times that it's an excellent book, and so you might want to check that out. Have you thought about volunteering as a practice patient/client at your local F.E college holistic therapies department? I'm aware that many students seek no-charge clients on whom to practice their massage and other therapy skills, and could be of benefit to yourself.

I hope you find some resolution in the meantime, and best wishes with your continued good health. :grouphug:

W

Watercolours

I've personally got so hacked off with the NHS I self funded and went private which always surprises the NHS staff, they seem to think it's so expensive but I find it really reasonable... I've been seeing a private psych for a year now, she's wonderful and the improvement I've made has been really good.

S

suki1066

hello, whats MDF please

E

eternaljourney

Thanks for the replies.
I don't have any money so unless private care can be paid for out of pennies from a jar then it's not gonna happen.
I just don't have any trust left in the services and not much else really.
I'm just going to stop trying to get any help, I've been going round in too many humiliating circles for too long and I've got grey hairs coming through daily. So cards down on the table and hands up, I'm sure I'm one of many, many, many...