• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Self medication

D

DukeD

Hi all, i am sure this will be viewed as a slightly taboo subject but i wanted to bring it up. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Bipolar 1/2 (borderline) and since then have tried many medications. I am now on Lithium and Lamotrigine and have been for about 2 of the 4 years. They are ok but i still hit very big lows which is obviously dispointing. I live a very healthy life, veggie, no booze, no smoking and i do my best to sleep for a good amount of time every night.

With all the above in mind i have been researching about self medication. I am going to venture down this path purely out of interest and intrigue and i will be taking a properly measured amount of MDMA. I will be on my own and in my house with calming music. I hope for the session to last 4-6 hours in which i am going to let what ever will happen, happen.

I am keen to get peoples thoughts on this and has anyone tried it? What has happened? Good? Bad?

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Hi all, i am sure this will be viewed as a slightly taboo subject but i wanted to bring it up. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Bipolar 1/2 (borderline) and since then have tried many medications. I am now on Lithium and Lamotrigine and have been for about 2 of the 4 years. They are ok but i still hit very big lows which is obviously dispointing. I live a very healthy life, veggie, no booze, no smoking and i do my best to sleep for a good amount of time every night.

With all the above in mind i have been researching about self medication. I am going to venture down this path purely out of interest and intrigue and i will be taking a properly measured amount of MDMA. I will be on my own and in my house with calming music. I hope for the session to last 4-6 hours in which i am going to let what ever will happen, happen.

I am keen to get peoples thoughts on this and has anyone tried it? What has happened? Good? Bad?
Please don't do it. If you're having issues with your mood despite your best efforts then get to the bottom of it naturally. Don't do something that will make things worse. Take an educated approach to your well being there is plenty of quality information out there. Please stay away from the drugs.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Keep yourself busy in healthy activities. Things you like. When you lose yourself in something you are good at and enjoy you'll have no thoughts, will feel no depression and will feel much better. That's a natural antidepressant. Don't give up.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Engage in novelty. Novelty encourages feel good chemicals. Novelty and challenges will excite your brain and keep things fresh.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have always stayed away from drugs because they can bring on mental illness, like schizophrenia, and I have all I can manage with the bipolar. My sense is that taking MDMA might provide a temporary escape from symptoms but may lead to new symptoms developing and in the long run might make your existing mental illness worse. I’d encourage you on your quest to find alternative forms of treatment for Bipolar but I would definitely stay away from drugs. xo, j

D

DukeD

Thank you everyone for your answers, i appreciate it. For the record, i have not yet done anything, i was just very much close to moving forward with the experiment. Maybe it would be jsut a short escape, maybe not. I am aware that tests have been going on for some time now with drugs such as MDMA, Psilocybin mushrooms etc hence my questions and intrigue. Please don't think me silly, i am well aware of all the possible side effects but i wanted to know if people had any experience in this area.