• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Self medication

Aahbut

Aahbut

First I am note recommending anyone tries this, or condoning it.

Yesterday after a long time thinking about it I decided to try ecstasy again. I have used it a handful of times over the years and had been wondering how it would effect a depressed state. My reasoning, if a psychiatrist can bang me full of far worse drugs then I can administer one E. I might add I was with two friends who were there to see I was OK. So what happened, after a while you begin to get the euphoric state of mind begin to build, but this time it felt like someone had ripped the roof off my mind and I started to feel 'normal'. I found I could concentrate and make decisions that before I couldn't. As good as it felt, and it lasted for around 4 hours, I wont keep repeating the experiment. It does make me wonder though if maybe the drug companies should try and identify the element and maybe see if it could have long term effects on depression.:rolleyes:

For the rest of the day yesterday, and so far today I have felt. I of course will not be mentioning this to me psychiatrist.

M

Michael

Founding Member
I have a fear of taking ANY drugs, let alone those which are on the black market, do you actually know exactly what you took? ie what strength and purity?
One of my sons has had the task more than once of having to clear away the body(s) of people who thought they knew, it wasn't a pretty experience.

What you want to do with your own body is up to you, but it would be better (wouldn't it?) if it was done in a more controlled way?

Not knocking you or anything else, its just my thoughts and having seen what it does to people who have to clear up

Michael

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
You never know what illicit drugs are cut with but it is an exercise in personal choice if one decides to try and alter mood states. I have heard of speed being cut with acid before and not the lysergic type! I would personally say you have to think hard about what you are letting yourself in for. Saying that I would also never judge a person who makes that choice, it could be right for them. I guess it depends ultimately how bad you feel and how disillusioned you are with mental health services? What a quandry. :unsure:

Aahbut

Aahbut

Thanks for your opinions. Yes there are risks taking these drugs, there are risks taking any drugs. I have spent two years with depression that is resistant to drugs, legal drugs, the ones that recently hit the news as being as good as placebo. It's not about the rights and wrongs, it's about living, about taking chances. I cannot, and have never been happy with being a sheep to be led. My experiment let me know that the person I have lost track of is still there, so there is hope, that's it. I have no faith so do not have the nice idea of a happy ever after. When I die I am dead, but I have no intention of going yet, nor do I intend giving in and dying of boredom.

I'm sorry if this has upset anyone, that was not my purpose. In future I shall keep any views that are not the 'norm' to myself.

M

Michael

Founding Member
I respect your views, and hope that you will not keep any of your so called abnormal views to yourself, it is only by looking at the issues and discussing all of the sides can people make there own mind up.

The views I hold are coloured by the fact that I am a father and my little boy is a policeman who has had to deal with some of the aftermath, this is something that I have an issue with, possibly it is me being overprotective?

Michael

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
I have had a relationship in the past with 'recreationals' shall we say.

Like you I would not advocate anyone taking them who does not wish to. However I do feel the risk of some are over stated.

What I would say though is that cannabis is abit of a loaded gun and a great risk to anyone with mental health issues

I guess I feel the uppers give you a short high but you WILL feel pants for a couple of days. Is the euphoric few hours worth feeling low the day after ? I dunno thats up to you

A

Apotheosis

Many of the drugs used on the streets were developed by scientists & for pharmaceutical use. Including - heroin, cocaine, Exstacy, diazepam, tamazepam, LSD, & many, many others. The natural drugs seem the safer bet - mushrooms, peyote, in fact any of the naturally occurring hallucinogens, low grade cannabis, & others. People seem to forget that alcohol is one of the most destructive & dangerous drugs we use; & it's use is widespread & openly encouraged. Lets not forget tobacco, chocolate & caffeine.

There is allot of fear mongering around drugs. As people have allready pointed out in this thread, many people in society take legally prescribed, &/or illegal drugs, I do not think we can categorically make final moral judgements on the benefits or horrors of drugs, based on whether or not they are legal.

I used allot of drugs for a long time. When I started taking them; I knew that what little I had been told about them was wrong. My problems were addiction related & not so much individual effects of substances. I have spoken with allot of people about this subject. The vast majority of people who take drugs are not "addicts", they are recreational users, & as such the majority of these people experience no severe ill effects whatsoever.

Out of all the drugs I took; the one which caused the most destruction to my life was alcohol. Cannabis was no good for my head, but I was suffering psychosis.

To get a balance we need to hear of the good drug experiences - & there are plenty of them. If someone has been helped with an antidepressant - then that is a positive experience with mind/mood altering drugs. It is exactly the same with a positive experience with LSD, or any other drug for that matter. Legal or not.

Exstacy was originally developed & used as a psychiatric drug, it was also once legal & in America could be easily purchased legally. There has been talk recently of the therapeutic value of MDMA (Exstacy) treatment in controlled circumstances, for the therapeutic value of enabling & assisting people to open up & talk openly. I don't see how it's use would be any less dangerous than an anti psychotic, in fact I think it would be less so.

Also remember that LSD therapy was once a widespread practise in psychiatric hospitals.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I'm sorry if this has upset anyone, that was not my purpose. In future I shall keep any views that are not the 'norm' to myself.
Aahbut - first there is no 'norm' on this forum :) - certainly not one I have noticed. Everyone has their own views and often these views disagree. It is one of the great things about the forum.

So we certainly don't want people not to express their own experiences. It was very clear that you were just relating your own own experience and not urging it on anyone else so there was no problem with it.

I don't think people were offended, just offering different perspectives.

I have never taken E's myself but I have self-medicated with other drugs (cocaine, crack) and I can understand the appeal. I know that they are the only thing which has ever provided an instant 'cure' for my depression; I also know that they made my depression much worse and that if I had kept on taking them I would be dead by now (I look back and am a bit amazed I'm not actually). I know that the come-downs were appalling, but I still went back because the appeal was so great. I know getting off them was really hard. I know that I still wouldn't trust myself for a minute if when I was ill someone offered me some. So in respect of those drugs I would just beg people, on the basis of my experience, not to start. My objections are certainly NOT moral or legal - they come from my own experience as a depressive.

You can quite reasonably say that as I am talking about very different drugs what I say is irrelevant to you. But I guess the appeal is the same.

I hope you - in turn - are not offended by my relating my own experience :).

Nick.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tamziie93 Other 1
W Other 5