• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Self increasing dose of sertraline

S

SalixContorta

Hi,

I've been on 50mg Sertraline for three weeks and since going back to work on Monday I think I need to increase my dose.

I rang the GP this morning and she is off til Monday. We had talked about upping my dose but hadn't agreed it ... is it as simple as taking two 50mg tablets in the morning rather than one? Or does she have to prescribe me a specific 100mg tablet?

I will still arrange an appointment with my GP & will tell her I've upped my dose, but I want to increase my dose to 100mg tomorrow, rather than wait until she can fit me in some time next week.

Your thoughts/experiences would be welcome!

Thanks,

Sal x

V

volnash

What are you taking it for? from what ive found online it states that you should not increase by more than 50, i know this was your plan aswell but i would be careful with doing this without a doctor's approval even though she might increase it herself, other than that i have little experience with this drug but i believe others here may be of more help.

Here's a link to sertraline dosages and precautions.
Sertraline Dosage - Drugs.com

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i wouldn't increase the dose myself just yet as it can take 4-6 weeks for it to kick in and i dont think increasing the dose will change this and you could get an unnecessary increase in side effects when the lower dose could be enough once it has started to work.
i would try to see the doc on monday and see what they say.

i just take 2 tablets in the morning as my gp seems unwilling to change the dose for some reason. i take a different AD though.

S

SalixContorta

Thanks for your replies. I'll tough it out til next week and get the ok from my GP first.